Recommendation for a utility pump to drain

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
I'm finally going to try to set my tanks up on a drip system. The drain line in the laundry room is higher than the height of my sump, so I was going to have the sump overflo to a waste reservoir and use a utility pump with float switch to periodically pump out the reservoir to the drain.

I was thinking of using a regular aquarium pump linked to float switch, but it looks like there are several options for utility/sump pumps with integrated float switches. Any reccomendations for a pump for this application?

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
Ok, so using a separate pump and float switch control rather than having a single pump with integrated float switch makes sense.

I want a dual float setup where the top float turns on the pump and the bottom float turns off the pump.

The hydrocheck HC6000 Hi-Lo Dual float switch controller looks like it could be a nice option for this:

It's a little bit more pricey, but I'm wondering if it would be a better option than the standard dual from from autotopoff:

Any thoughts?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
20180403_010638.png
This is the pump i use... i have 8 tanks draining into a sump crock similiar to ur proposed plan... combined im draining 40+gal an hr...24/7... it pumps 8' up and 20' outside. Great unit for the money. Its failed me 1 time in 6 yrs running almost constantly around every 15-20 minutes. the plastic float took on water and had to be drained/sealed. I bought a new one anyway and keep the original as a backup. I dont see the need to use additional float switches when u can just run a reg. style sump pump that has one built in.

Last edited:

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
The reason i use a separate float switch is because it is what i had. i had a pump and a new spare float switch from a sewer pump chamber.

Using a pump with an integrated float switch seems to be fine although its going to cycle on and off constantly since it only has an 8' or whatever tolerance from on/off. Using a separate float switch allows you to fully fill whatever you are using for a holding tank before it turns on. The float will lift 2-3" feet before it turns on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store