Red belly temp

ronnie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2005
as i have viewed the adequate Water temp of this fish is 24-29 degrees Celsius (76-84 degrees Fahrenheit).

my tank is always at 29 to 31 deg celsius.

it only goes down to 25 to 28 or so when I do a water change.

my question is, is it ok for this fishes to live in that temp??

will it affect the growth ??

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
They will grow a bit faster and not live quite so long at those temps opposed to 25-27 C.

piranha_guy_dan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
canada
why dont you turn down the temp? and if it wont go any lower then sometimes people unplug them during the warmer months if the tank will stay warm enough at room temperature.

when the temp is high it causes the metabolism to speed up in the fish and also the aggression will increse.

ive never heard that they wont live as long because of a bit higher temps. remember the amazon temps get very high during the dry season. the only way i think it will kill them is if its too high right away and not over a long period of time. they will adapt to it over time but a quick really warm snap in the tank will likely put them into shock and die faster then over a period of time from incresed temp.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I don't mean it will kill them, it is just that they normally live around 8 years and I have had keepers tell me that 5-6 is usual at higher temps but that they produce larger broods at higher temps as well.

piranha_guy_dan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
canada
piranhas live much longer then 8 years. whoever told you this info is terribly wrong.

i have a friend with a 15 inch black rhom, and it has to be about 15 years old. it has grown from 14 to 15 inches in the 1 year he has had it. it was caught out of the nanay river in peru and at that size it is forcasted approx to be about 15 years old. reds can live much longer then 8 years also but im just usuing his fish as an example

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store