Red Devil Breeding

Brodi Williams

Feeder Fish
Jan 19, 2019
Helllloooo, I have two pretty large red devil cichlids, both vented, one male about 11 inches and one female about 9-10 inches. Both fish have been making caves and cleaning rocks and surfaces, but still have yet to lay eggs, I’m keeping them at 80 degrees and they have a 150 gallon tank to themselves. The male has breed before but I just got a new female and was hoping to breed them. They have been paired up for about a month and a half maybe 2 months. Anything I can do to encourage them to breed? Or is it just a waiting game? My male breed in the first week the first time, but this time the female just wont lay.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Helllloooo, I have two pretty large red devil cichlids, both vented, one male about 11 inches and one female about 9-10 inches. Both fish have been making caves and cleaning rocks and surfaces, but still have yet to lay eggs, I’m keeping them at 80 degrees and they have a 150 gallon tank to themselves. The male has breed before but I just got a new female and was hoping to breed them. They have been paired up for about a month and a half maybe 2 months. Anything I can do to encourage them to breed? Or is it just a waiting game? My male breed in the first week the first time, but this time the female just wont lay.

Try doing a water change and replace with cooler water.

Brodi Williams

Feeder Fish
Jan 19, 2019
That’s what I was thinking, last time they spawned so fast that’s why I was wondering, but it is a new tank and new female so it makes sense it would take longer

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store