Red Devil Cichlid

Finksburg

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2019
Maryland, USA
Thanks, guys. Anyone know when you can start noticing a hump in a males forehead? Not going to lie, really hoping for a big male here. I don't think I'm going to be disappointed either way though. I've owned piranhas and they are no where near as fun to keep as cichlids so far.

Next fish is going to be an RTM, possibly 2 in a 125 gal tank (just not sure if that will be a big enough. I'd like to try to get a male and a female. After that in a few years maybe try a real big communal tank and start experimenting there when i have the tanks to seperate them

Some of the setups from the members here are ridiculous and inspiring lol..

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Thanks, guys. Anyone know when you can start noticing a hump in a males forehead? Not going to lie, really hoping for a big male here. I don't think I'm going to be disappointed either way though. I've owned piranhas and they are no where near as fun to keep as cichlids so far.

Next fish is going to be an RTM, possibly 2 in a 125 gal tank (just not sure if that will be a big enough. I'd like to try to get a male and a female. After that in a few years maybe try a real big communal tank and start experimenting there when i have the tanks to seperate them

Some of the setups from the members here are ridiculous and inspiring lol..
So there are several factors if and size of humps. Biggest is genetics, then environment and other fish present etc.

My guy keeps a very mild hump, he's a Sagittae still closely related and kept as a solo fish. 20200120_225546.jpg

When I was trying to breed him his hump started to push out. But as soon as the females were gone it flattened back out.
20190614_115336.jpg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Just an update. Fish is doing awesome. I'm looking at somewhere between 0.75" - 1" worth of growth over this past month. His diet consists of NLS sinking pellets, Hikari Gold floating pellets, market shrimp, rarely some cucumber to attack at the surface.

This thing is nuts though. It isn't afraid of me at all and it's not very big right now. I have a feeling this guy/gal is going to be interesting to deal with during maintenance in a few months. Splashing water at the surface and going after nets, vacuums, anything that goes in the tank- nuts. Unfortunately, I don't think I could get away with housing this thing with anything else- even if I upgraded the tank.

I've been noticing a swelling on his forehead, barely noticeable. When can you start noticing a hump in a male?

Thanks,
I love the golden like color!

Needs...name. :grinyes:

Reactions: Finksburg

Finksburg

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2019
Maryland, USA
Hey ! I hope you're all doing well. I was going to post some new pics of my Midas since its been a little while. This is about 3 months of growth since the original pictures I started the thread with on the first post. I calculate about a little over a inch a month. He is about 6.5" in the most recent pic.

He looks a little washed out right now. It's getting close to lights out time for him and his final feeding.

Diet consists of..
NLS Sinking Pellets
Hikari Gold Floating Pelles
Raw Market Shrimp
Raw Market Tilapia
Gut Loaded Red Cherry Shrimp - Only Once so far (I breed them in the tank below his, I can post a picture of that- didn't think anyone would care on a monsterifsh forum)

I'll also let a cucumber float at the surface for an hour at times and let him poke at it. He loves to go after anything at the surface. He has grown very aggressive and shows absolutely no fear to anything that enters the tank with him. I've got to be super careful during maintenance as he is getting bigger and bolder.

I've gotten rid of my AC110s due to my substrate just tearing about their motors. I feel like I made a mistake there with finer sand. The thing is it makes it to where almost all the waste rests on top of the sand for an easier vacuum. Right now, there is a Fluval407 and a SunSun HW303b.

Other than that, doing water changes with a vacuum every 2 days.

I'm glad I asked for the advice of the folks on this server before making any decisions. You guys know your stuff and are super helpful. I have to say this is the coolest fish I've owned so far.

Thanks again all!

PS: I've gotten a look at the vent and it sort of looks male from the examples I've googled, not 100% sure though. .I believe I'm seeing hump development on his head too. I've been calling the fish a "he". I think it's a male. Curious to know your thoughts as well.

4-19-2020(1).jpg

4-19-2020(2).jpg

4-19-2020(3).jpg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Use pre sponge filters and shorten the intakes on your AC110s and you should be okay. Heavier grain sand does the trick (not play sand, too light and fluffy).

You could try mixing another color sand to give texture and bring out his hues more. All that white sand might be like staring at a strobe, lol. He might be trying to blend in with the lighter color.

I actually like the color, reminds me of orange ice.

Finksburg

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2019
Maryland, USA
Thanks for that advice! Sometimes he’s a strong orange, other times he’s like that. I feel like he changes by the day. I need to add some more substrate soon, so I’m going to use your advice.

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
Beautiful fish! Did you attach 3 aquaclear intake tubes together?

Reactions: Finksburg

Finksburg

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2019
Maryland, USA
Beautiful fish! Did you attach 3 aquaclear intake tubes together?
Thank you! I did. I think that contributed to killing the motor. However, right now these two cannister filters have been very convenient and best of all super quiet.

I love AC110s though and will def use them again on a new tank one day. I won't use this substrate again though.

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
Thank you! I did. I think that contributed to killing the motor. However, right now these two cannister filters have been very convenient and best of all super quiet.

I love AC110s though and will def use them again on a new tank one day. I won't use this substrate again though.
np. I do two on my AC70 although the tank is only ~21" deep.

I love them too! Yeah, don't do that. lol. What were you using?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store