Red-eared slider tank setup. Input welcomed.

ElainaReigh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2010
East Coast
Getting a new aquarium for the baby red-eared sliders(it should be here next week) it will be 36x 18x 12
Any ideas on how to set it up? I'm not sure if they're boys or girls yet so i plan on having a small sandy substrate area that goes into rocks and water. Of course with most of the area being water. I already have my lamps and filter and heater that I'll still be able to use since they're in a 30x 13x 13 now. Can't wait :)

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
If they are babies why would they need sand? I mean its like 7 or so years away before the girls need any...Now sand its to avoid as well because baby turts can try eat it which is not very good and you really want to keep it simple as frequent water changes are very important for proper hygene. I have preference for cork and drift wood over rocks because they are smooder and float which takes less floor space. VERY important are a good aquarium heater and at least for now a 5.0 UV lamp.

Nanoreefer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
Virginia
Yeah, sometimes no substrate is the best option, as it's easier to clean. Although it doesn't look very nice. River rocks are pretty cool to, although they sometimes are a pain to clean.

ElainaReigh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2010
East Coast
Actually, I call them babies but i'm not sure how old they are. Is there a way to tell? they're about 3 1/2 - 4 inches from head to tail. I'm just paranoid that one will hold an egg and die if i don't give it a dry area to lay it. you're probably right tho, i can save the substrate for the next tank upgrade or so. the cork sounds cool, i've heard of it a lot lately. where do you get it fom?

StevePerry

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
You're going to end up buying a bigger tank... Trust me. Been there, done that. Started in a 10, then to a 20, then a 55.Now I keep a single RES in a 100 gal, with two Fluval 404's and I really wouldn't want to go any smaller than that.

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
ElainaReigh;4674095; said:
Actually, I call them babies but i'm not sure how old they are. Is there a way to tell? they're about 3 1/2 - 4 inches from head to tail. I'm just paranoid that one will hold an egg and die if i don't give it a dry area to lay it. you're probably right tho, i can save the substrate for the next tank upgrade or so. the cork sounds cool, i've heard of it a lot lately. where do you get it fom?
Those turts arent anywere near egg laying size, chill. Even if they were you would get plenty of warning signs, beleave me. Insted of another bigger tank, if you can I sugest you build a outdoor pond for them. That is the ideal home for big sliders.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
I would be more worried about them swallowing aquarium gravel than sand. I thing the sand is fine. I do thing you will need a much larger tank and you should look into getting one of those turtle docks to save some room to swim...

paul112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2006
United Kingdom
I'd also be against sand, try using a substrate that is larger than the turtle's head, to avoid them eating it. I've had RES eat their substrate and get compacted before, it's not pleasant for the animal or the owner.

Large river rock pebbles look attractive and natural, and corkbark is ideal for forming a basking area without removing swimming space :)

Paul

Creek_stomper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
At that size, they're probably between a year and two, but it depends on how they were raised. Two sliders at adult size will need around 100-150 gallons depending on their genders. This is if you adhere to the common rule of 10 gallons for every inch of carapace length, and 5g/in for every additional turtle. So for instance, a 10in female and 8in male would need a combined 140g. This is a generally excepted rule, but not everyone adheres to it.

I hear alot of dispute about substrates, but I've only ever heard of complications from small gravel. I know a few people who keep hundreds (think 800+ specimens properly housed, not overcrowded breeding setups) of turtles, many in natural substrates of sand and rock and mud, and none have ever reported complications from impaction. I know of one keeper who has an Xray of a turtle chock full of gravel which is still living happily today. I personally use sand and though it's eaten, it passes harmlessly. That all being said, you can't be too safe, i suppose.

I, too, like to use a piece of corkbark. I tend to cut it the depth of my tank and wedge it in place, so it's easier for the turtle to climb.

Josh

methos75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
Satsuma, LA.
I use sand as well for my baby turtles and have never had a real issue, mine rarely if ever eat it and it looks nice

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store