Red Gracilaria beach collecting

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Hi Guys,
Collected a few tufts of gracilaria from the beach here, when I collected from the ocean it was pale green, almost white, but quite quickly changed a lovely red colour once in my tank for a few days. Just wanted to share how quickly it has been spreading around the tank - parts seem to break off and float around the tank until they find a rock to snag on, a crevice to log themselves in, and some even stick in the sand and grow.
Parts that break off can be either small or large.

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
Thanks for sharing. I really love collecting from nature if I can, as long as I am not harming the environment.
I think the problem is when people collect as much as they can to sell. For personal use is not much.
I love the tank, nice job!

Reactions: mattybecks

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Thanks for sharing. I really love collecting from nature if I can, as long as I am not harming the environment.
I think the problem is when people collect as much as they can to sell. For personal use is not much.
I love the tank, nice job!
Thanks Johnny!
Yeah I agree with you. Stripping the environment for commercial gain is not something I am into. A little macro algae and some of the hitchhikers that come with it Im sure is fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store