Red Near Gills and Lips - African Cichlid

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Lemon Jake Peacocks - about a week ago the four females developed redness near gills and lips. They are the only species in the tank. Don't see it on the male, but he is colored. Fish act healthy, eat well, and in fact, one female as of yesterday is holding for the first time.
Nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, all great. PH around 8. One-third water changes every 10 days. 135 gallon tank.
Do I try to treat it? Just keep an eye on it? Any idea what it is?

DSC_9887.JPG

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like septicemia. Check the water and make sure tank is cycled and keep nitrates below 20ppm. Add some triple sulfa, maracyn2 or kanamycin.

Reactions: Randles

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Looks exactly like the issue with my fish. I hate to say it but I was unable to find an adequate “cure”. Some of the fish that were afflicted did recover but the majority did not live. I am thinking that it might have something to do with the individual fish and their immune systems. Many fish in the tank never even showed any symptoms.
Looks like there is also the same redness along the dorsal fin.

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
I'd like to save the fry, maybe I will let the holding female carry on for a week if she can, then strip and tumble in another tank.
At that point I can decide how/if to treat the tank and fish.
Ammonia/nitrite's zero. Nitrates at 10.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Any update punman punman on how the fish is doing, if you treated or ?

Reactions: tlindsey

WARCRAFT

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2011
I'd like to save the fry, maybe I will let the holding female carry on for a week if she can, then strip and tumble in another tank.
At that point I can decide how/if to treat the tank and fish.
Ammonia/nitrite's zero. Nitrates at 10.
Any updates on the fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store