Red Sore on Endlicheri, any input is appreciated

sephir420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
cant say for sure bacause i cant see the pic verry well but i had 2 d. compresiceps get some red stuff on there mouth and it spred all over it within a couple of days they where dead. i thik it was a bacterial infection but cant say for sure. dose it look like scrapes or just discoleration?

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
your tahitian (or is it haitian) moon sand is very abrasive, it's it is silica based. bottom dwellers like your bichir gets irritated and may cause infections. from the looks of it, you'll need a new substrate and treat your bichir with anti-bacterial medication.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Phatboy said:
your tahitian (or is it haitian) moon sand is very abrasive, it's it is silica based. bottom dwellers like your bichir gets irritated and may cause infections. from the looks of it, you'll need a new substrate and treat your bichir with anti-bacterial medication.

agreed. Rays can stand silica based sand either. Try getting estes sand. Its much smoother than the sand youre using.

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
You mispelled "can't"...

and I agree with redtailfool, I've used estes reef sand numerous times (have some in my tank right now) with bottom dwellers (including stingrays) with no problems.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
street cypher said:
Damn it! I just bought that stuff too... Is this estes reef sand jet black?

But wouldn't its whole bottom be covered in sores?

yes.. estes sand is jet black. Could be that the jaw always hits the sand first. Or look around maybe its another thing. Its just a guess.

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
estes reef sand comes in different colors, black, white, green, blue, and I believe red.

Silica based sand creates microscopic wounds, some may heal while some gets infected.... perhaps it's lower jaw is particularly sensitive? either way, I'd get rid of the sand and apply the medication recomended above (most broad spectrum bacterial medication should work). Make sure the medication is safe for sensitive fish.

Kenta

Gambusia
MFK Member
I'm not going to medicate right yet.

I'll do a water change, get the water nice and clean and then wait it out. If it gets better then i'll leave it (maybe it'll happen again, in that case i'll change the sand) If it doesn't, i'll move it into a 55g hospital and treat with something.

I've used silica sand on with my bichirs before though. I used white silica sand for a long time and had no problems there. Although tahitian moon (yes its tahitian) sand does seem to be a little more sharp.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
im with ming

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store