Red tail catfish are jerks

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome to MFK, bro!

Yeah, your tale is all too common for a beginner. I agree with the guys above - the only thing that is more or less safe with an RTC is a tank mate that would not fit in its mouth at all.

It's not the fish's fault that it is placed in a completely unnatural situation... And then we reap what we sow and, of course, learn along the way :)

Not all RTCs would prey on their tank mates even if they do fit easily in their mouth. On the other hand, some RTCs will go out of their way to prey on tank mates. But most scenarios end up in the middle.

Beware, that we are talking about girth / height here. RTC and other predators are quite capable of swallowing a long fish partially, digesting a part, swallowing more, digesting more, and so on until the prey is consumed.

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
RTC said wow this guy standing on the other side of the glass is so nice. Bringing me food and providing me hunting opportunities as in arowana Oscars and what not.

Rule of the game is simple : Size does matter :)

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Welcome to MFK, bro!

Yeah, your tale is all too common for a beginner. I agree with the guys above - the only thing that is more or less safe with an RTC is a tank mate that would not fit in its mouth at all.

It's not the fish's fault that it is placed in a completely unnatural situation... And then we reap what we sow and, of course, learn along the way :)

Not all RTCs would prey on their tank mates even if they do fit easily in their mouth. On the other hand, some RTCs will go out of their way to prey on tank mates. But most scenarios end up in the middle.

Beware, that we are talking about girth / height here. RTC and other predators are quite capable of swallowing a long fish partially, digesting a part, swallowing more, digesting more, and so on until the prey is consumed.
RTC x CK.jpg

Tankmates are the same length. If it fits, it;s food.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
BTW what was the size of oh no and delhezi ? Lol
the odoe came in around 3 or 4", the delhezi is 12" lol. but hes never been an aggressive hunter....that's why I figured a fast mid-topwater fish would be fine, annnnnd then it became a lesson learned lol

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
the odoe came in around 3 or 4", the delhezi is 12" lol. but hes never been an aggressive hunter....that's why I figured a fast mid-topwater fish would be fine, annnnnd then it became a lesson learned lol
I am little nervous now. I have two delhezis 7 and 12 in a tank and very docile :eek: was thinking of temporarily housing couple of juvi VATF with them but hmm.
Expensive sushi I guess sooner or later

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I am little nervous now. I have two delhezis 7 and 12 in a tank and very docile :eek: was thinking of temporarily housing couple of juvi VATF with them but hmm.
Expensive sushi I guess sooner or later
I mean it probably depends on your dels too, were they ever on live food? because mine was when I got him, took me a month to break him. just grow those bad vatf's a little first to be safe, yours are more expensive gambles than mine were haha

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I mean it probably depends on your dels too, were they ever on live food? because mine was when I got him, took me a month to break him. just grow those bad vatf's a little first to be safe, yours are more expensive gambles than mine were haha
They were never on live food only on shrimp pellets. But I am not going to do this joining. Will wait few months

Reactions: predatorkeeper87

the_moori_man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2014
Michigan
I keep mine 20 incher with a 7 inch giant gourami, 3 10-12 inch oscars, 2 5-7 inch nicaraguensis, 26 inch adonis, a ripsaw and a tsn x etc hybrid that all except the adonis and ripsaw could be eaten. The key is always keeping him well fed and in a large enough tank where everyone has room.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I keep mine 20 incher with a 7 inch giant gourami, 3 10-12 inch oscars, a 26 inch adonis, a ripsaw and a tsn x etc hybrid that all except the adonis and ripsaw could be eaten. The key is always keeping him well fed.
Moori what size tank are they all in,got any pics?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store