Red Tail Catfish Gill Curl

Silent_Revelation

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2020
I operate a fish reforming service and while it’s amazing, I have come into possession of a Red Tail Catfish who appears to be suffering from gill curl. He is soon to be placed into a 7000 gallon indoor pond (0 Ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, but at the moment he is in a holding tank while I decide any treatments for him.

I am prepared to perform surgery to correct the gill curl if necessary, but am very open to other options.

What would you suggest?

5BADCD60-0429-49DE-98CB-7D7A38DC26A7.jpeg

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I operate a fish reforming service and while it’s amazing, I have come into possession of a Red Tail Catfish who appears to be suffering from gill curl. He is soon to be placed into a 7000 gallon indoor pond (0 Ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, but at the moment he is in a holding tank while I decide any treatments for him.

I am prepared to perform surgery to correct the gill curl if necessary, but am very open to other options.

What would you suggest?

View attachment 1405056
Im not a vet or anything close to but imo, if he seems to be nice, healthy and it doesn't look to be causing him discomfort, I would leave it as is. It may be a lil unsightly but as long as the fish is comfortable with it I would consider it more cosmedic then anything life threatening. But that's just my opinion, I'm certain others will chime in with their own 2 cents on the matter as well.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome to the MFK! We are pleased to have you join our family!

IMO, most usually there is no need to do anything. The word you used "suffering" is probably a great emotional overstatement.

If the curl is from prior bad water (more likely), there is a good chance it will fix itself with time, especially as the fish grows in size. If it is genetic, probably not. In either case, it appears that the state of understanding of this thing is that it is a cosmetic defect, as stated above, and not that deleterious to the fish's well being.

Cutting it off would indeed cause bad "suffering", as in stress, albeit short term.

Silent_Revelation

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2020
Welcome to the MFK! We are pleased to have you join our family!

IMO, most usually there is no need to do anything. The word you used "suffering" is probably a great emotional overstatement.

If the curl is from prior bad water (more likely), there is a good chance it will fix itself with time, especially as the fish grows in size. If it is genetic, probably not. In either case, it appears that the state of understanding of this thing is that it is a cosmetic defect, as stated above, and not that deleterious to the fish's well being.

Cutting it off would indeed cause bad "suffering", as in stress, albeit short term.
Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to my stay, haha.

Regarding the gill curl, how can I confirm it’s not causing any distress. His behavior is normal and he’s feeding well, is there anything else I can do to confirm he’s alright?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to my stay, haha.

Regarding the gill curl, how can I confirm it’s not causing any distress. His behavior is normal and he’s feeding well, is there anything else I can do to confirm he’s alright?
Well sounds to me like he's comfortable with it at this point. If he was distressed he wouldn't act normal or eat, so it sounds like he is doing just fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You can do lots of things but the reason would state that the RTC is fine. Normal behavior is not a straightforward notion but if I understand you correctly, the fish is not showing any obviously abnormal activity, like gulping for air, breathing too heavy, swimming upside down or discombobulated, convulsing at times, upchucking feed, scratching, etc.

Normal appearance is also important, coloration, mucus layer, etc.

Appetite is the most telling thing. If it feeds well, chances are 99.9% the fish is alright.

Surely you can run other tests like a full blood test, EKG, upper endoscopy, and colonoscopy but again unless you are made of money and have nothing better to do and your local fish vet is just twiddling his/her thumbs, let's remain reasonable, no? (I too am just running a test here on your sense of humor :) )

One easy test run on humans is the blood oxygen level, which is measured by that wired pincher thingy they place on your finger. This test would be relevant to your fish, as the risk here is that the fish might not be getting sufficient oxygen but IDK how easy it is to measure dissolved oxygen in fish blood... nor would I worry about it at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store