red tail catfish in cold pond help

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
Think we coud re-answer this question but for southern texas instead? Temps typically get to 36ish for a week or so, and are below 60 for 2-3 months. Any ideas on how to heat my 5,500g pond for tropical fish?
The easiest and most effective way to do this is build a greenhouse over the entire pond which can get pricey. It's a lot easier to do that and run some sort of AC unit on the green house for heat to keep the interior ambient air temp in a reasonable range than it is to try and use conventional heaters to heat the water while still exposing it to the cold outside temps. If your 5500 gallon pond is really deep that will make it a lot easier to keep it warm all winter since we don't really have a "frost line" so to speak in Texas and the ground temperature a few feet down maintains a constant 70 or so degrees. Is it cheap no. Is it the best way to heat it, absolutely.

Redtailcat24

Feeder Fish
Feb 13, 2019
I shall find a way... Or I'll just end up bringn him in...
I live in North Florida and have had many red tails in my aquariums, but I did try keeping one in my pond outside about 10 years back. It does get cold in North Florida for a couple of months .I tried solar covers with several 1500 watt heaters and deicers but to no avail in a 1500 gal pond. I agree with the other posts it’s best to bring him inside otherwise you run the chance of losing him .

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
Multi wall polycarb sheets, type use on conservatory roofs and or polystyrene or insulation boards. Heating will cost a packet, temporary pool on a garage or shed would save alot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store