Red tail cats outgrowing 225 g

Aronus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio
I know these fish get massive! I've seen monster fish a million times. But has anyone had personal problems with there size? Not stories of someone else. Out growing a 225?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I can honestly state, without reservation, that I never had any fish outgrow its 225 gal quarters.

My statement comes from never trying to force one of my monsters to limit itself within the confines of a 225. The bigs guys were moved to bigger quarters long before the restrictions of a 225 gal became evident and problematic.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Well put, Oddball and Kiril. Once one learns the basics, no fish of that keeper has to outgrow any enclosure.

Aronus, welcome to MFK! RTC is one of the most well known and written about and studied large cats in the trade. If you don't trust forums thinking people just re-tell stories, you certainly should trust datasheets / profiles from such highly reputable sites as Planet Catfish, ScotCat, SeriouslyFish, Aquatic Community, etc. etc. etc.

Fish don't grow to the size of tank. One can make them, more or less, sure, but that's not fish keeping, that's considered animal cruelty by those who understand and always results in a stressed, deformed, stunted, sick, and most usually soon-to-be-dead fish.

Yes, I've had a privilege of keeping more than a dozen of rescued sub-adults RTCs. In a 4000 gal indoor pond.

Aronus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio
How is it animal cruelty?? Keeping a fish to the size of a tank!!?? They are fish not dogs. I paid good money for it and feed it a great diet by going to the market spending good money on food and live feeders and a balanced tank. What is wrong keeping it 2.5-3 feet?

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
Its like keeping your child at 3 feet the rest of his life.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RayStruth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Hendersonville, NC
It's the equivalent of keeping a Great Dane in a crate designed for a Yorkie, yeah you can feed it steak and all that but it isn't supposed to live in there and will not grow and live a full life, and then what's even the point?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
How is it animal cruelty?? Keeping a fish to the size of a tank!!?? They are fish not dogs. I paid good money for it and feed it a great diet by going to the market spending good money on food and live feeders and a balanced tank. What is wrong keeping it 2.5-3 feet?
You asked peoples experience and opinions and that's what's being given. Red Tails get almost as wide as they do long, between that and their penchant for being active cruisers one can consider keeping them in a confined space cruel. Especially when the result of that confined space is a fish that's stunted. Bones don't form correctly causing discomfort for the animal as it's body searches for a way to adapt to the limitations a small tank puts on them. For most animals deformities cause pain so why would it be any different for a fish even if a fish can't fathom complex thoughts I imagine they can still process the same kind of pain as most animals as well as stress from feeling an instinct to cruise that's being suppressed in a confined space.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store