• Total voters

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
im trying to decide on a red tail/ yellow tail barracuda or a Pickerel ive always wanted a cuda and never seen or heard of the Pickerel till recent. They or it is goiing to start off in a 40 breeder. What breed is easier to keep alive as far as them not harming themselves? Do Cuda's get along with tank mates more than Pickerel? Thanks.
Cudas will get along with most non aggressive fish. Atleast anything that won't fit in their mouths. Not sure about a pickerel though but o believe to be more aggressive. Would suggest to get a bigger tank for both fish as they will dart when startled and get injuries.

Reactions: Experiment397

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
im trying to decide on a red tail/ yellow tail barracuda or a Pickerel ive always wanted a cuda and never seen or heard of the Pickerel till recent. They or it is goiing to start off in a 40 breeder. What breed is easier to keep alive as far as them not harming themselves? Do Cuda's get along with tank mates more than Pickerel? Thanks.
Cudas will get along with most non aggressive fish. Atleast anything that won't fit in their mouths. Not sure about a pickerel though but o believe to be more aggressive. What are the tankamtes you have or maybe planning to get? Would suggest to get a bigger tank for both fish as they will dart when startled and get injuries.

dsfish

Jack Dempsey
Nov 22, 2008
michigan
I was only going to start it out in it thought it was large enough ive got larger tanks 2 125 and a 400 gallon deffinitly not new to having large fish just this breed! I love this place and have been here for a long time despite my lack of comment and thread count, monsterfishkeepers has been my go to place for a lot of things and this is why im here now so thanks for all the information I figured the bredder would be better because it has a wider foot print would a 90 be more suited? Im doing some smaller tanks and thought this would be cool to add. Looking to double the 400 in the next year or so.Thanks again guys

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Something 6ft long would be better. Cudas kept in a group and will do well. Not sure about a pickerel.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
I'd go Cuda over pickerel. Can be kept in groups and the pickerel really is a temperate climate species. They can survive at tropical temps but do better a little colder

Reactions: AquaAlex1993
A

AquaAlex1993

I'd go Cuda over pickerel. Can be kept in groups and the pickerel really is a temperate climate species. They can survive at tropical temps but do better a little colder
Agreed, plus cudas are much better looking and more tankmate friendly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store