Red Tailed Catfish in Grandbury TX

GeorgeHaddaway15

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
Crested Butte, Colorado
I'd say the surface is around 2 surface acres. The average depth is around 15 feet but goes down to around 30. I calculated the gallons and this is probably off by a few thousand or so but the pond calculator says it's 10 million gallons. Also I don't have a picture of it but can probably get one soon from a relative.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Red tail cats are a tropical fish that exist in water temp's from roughly 70 to 80 degrees, no way could they survive a Texas winter, Florida maybe but anywhere else, no chance unless it's a heated pond. I lost a favorite red tail years ago when a heater in my tank, in the house, failed and the water went down to the mid-sixties, the fish was then attacked by a major fungus episode (typical in cold water) and died two days later. There are other catfish species from temperate zones around the world, as opposed to tropical, like the European Wels cat that could survive cold water but would be considered an invasive species and would likely be illegal as well as irresponsible to introduce anywhere outside of an aquarium. That said, I get it, I fish too and would like to catch a big red tail or other giant catfish without going to the Amazon or Thailand to do it. If it were my pond/lake, I would stock it with more prey species like crawfish, bluegill or other sunfish to feed the flatheads. Most fishermen would be content to catch bass and flatheads in their private pond….
There already are two catfish bigger than RTC in there. Blue catfish and flathead catfish.
Haha! Goonch would most definitely survive! I looked up the European Wels Cat and it looked like that would be a fun one to put in there. The problem is it's probably illegal.
Wels are illegal period. You can't import them :(

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
How big do blue catfish and flathead catfish get? I wasn't aware that they could get anywhere near the size of an RTC. Jeremy Wade caught an RTC on one of his shows that was about 5ft. I have no doubt that they get that big.

Also, are the blue and flathead catfish as aggressive as the RTC? I know that the RTC's have been known to take down some large prey and a lot of it.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Some sturgeons, which would handle the cold water much better that an RTC I suspect, would dwarf all 3.
From my understanding, sturgeons require licenses and prefer brackish water.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Not sure if rtc could survive the temperature but am sure you can catch it for fishing....

Hotdog is one of the bait we used to catch rtc in a paid pond. Same for alligator far and a few other fishes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store