Red tailed tinfoil barb growth rate

BellycrawlerJaws

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, New York
Hi all, I recently purchased 7 red tailed tinfoil barbs, and was curious if their growth rate is the same as that of a standard tinfoil barb (1"/month)? Or if I should expect something slower?

Thanks!

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
As fast or faster! Depending on your tank size and feeding. I'm my experiences... Much faster than 1" a month.

BellycrawlerJaws

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, New York
Update - from May to now, minimal growth on these guys, maybe 1/2" on most (over the course of 3 months), mostly girth on the biggest of the bunch. This is with feedings about 5x a week (I feed less than once a day for the sake of water changes and for their lifespans), 75% water changes weekly, and 6 red hooks with them. The only realistic changes I've seen otherwise have been the tiger barbs starving out the weakest link in their swarm one by one (they've gone from 16 in february to about 6 now).

Thoughts? They get a high protein food and have been extra colorful the past 2 months.

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
What size tank are they in and what other tankmates? Do they get any veggies? I think tinfoils like their veggies too.

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
red tails are pigs!! they will eat anything you put in the tank.(meaning food not other fish)
the more you feed them the faster and more girth they grow/gain

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
Update - from May to now, minimal growth on these guys, maybe 1/2" on most (over the course of 3 months), mostly girth on the biggest of the bunch. This is with feedings about 5x a week (I feed less than once a day for the sake of water changes and for their lifespans), 75% water changes weekly, and 6 red hooks with them. The only realistic changes I've seen otherwise have been the tiger barbs starving out the weakest link in their swarm one by one (they've gone from 16 in february to about 6 now).

Thoughts? They get a high protein food and have been extra colorful the past 2 months.
with 16 of them (i know you now have 6)you should have fed on both sides
of the tank and definitely should feed them more than once a day.. just my thoughts

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
My 12 used to live in a 225 5x3 footprint aquarium.
They grow very quickly and they need a large tank to have natural behaviour, they used every inch of my tank and they lived with 2 albino pacús, a giant gourami.

They will eat anything that hits the surface, they used to really enjoy almonds, and they would even eat feeder goldfish (not for them, but didn't stop them)

Great fish especially if you have a group.

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14

k24.mike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2017
red tails are pigs!! they will eat anything you put in the tank.(meaning food not other fish)
the more you feed them the faster and more girth they grow/gain
i jnow its old but my red tail tinfoil will eat small guppies

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store