Red Terror (M. Festae) pair forming

Astoria

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2021
USA
www.youtube.com
So doesn't that make it more difficult though? Or do I have it backwards? Most cichlid species seem to have brighter colors in the males.

So females are often left out of tanks to help with aggression. How would you get a Festae female into a tank of let's say... vieja males?

Black Tuna

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2014
California
youtube.com
So doesn't that make it more difficult though? Or do I have it backwards? Most cichlid species seem to have brighter colors in the males.

So females are often left out of tanks to help with aggression. How would you get a Festae female into a tank of let's say... vieja males?
you're asking if it makes it more difficult for this species to pair up since people think the females are prettier?

Astoria

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2021
USA
www.youtube.com
you're asking if it makes it more difficult for this species to pair up since people think the females are prettier?
I'm asking how would you add a pretty female to an all male tank and there not be problems? I'm genuinely curious because I've never owned this species and I have an empty 60 gallon tank right now. I really like their size and colors, both male and female but don't want any issues. I have a 210 that's not fully stocked too.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I'm asking how would you add a pretty female to an all male tank and there not be problems? I'm genuinely curious because I've never owned this species and I have an empty 60 gallon tank right now. I really like their size and colors, both male and female but don't want any issues. I have a 210 that's not fully stocked too.
The answer is you can't. Once you've added a female of any shape color or size the males will start to fight over her because she is the only available female. When it comes to mix and matching large aggressive cichlids like this ya can't have and all male tank with 1 female in it. It'll just cause mass chaos as the males all try to fight for their right to breed. An all male tank must stay an all male tank otherwise someone will pair up and try to breed, most likely trying to kill the other fish in the process.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Use flower pots, etc she can fit into and the males can't. And or get get some egg crate light diffuser panels to make a divider with holes only she can fit thru.

This is if you are trying to get a pair to bond. But if you just want a female in an all male tank, sorry it won't work as Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane stated as soon as she is added the males will start to try to bond/breed with her and all heck will break out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store