Red Terrors!!!

Jaymillion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
I've had these 10 Red Terrors in a 125 for over a year. I assumed the biggest was male until she laid eggs! With the he/she being so much bigger than anything else in the tank and me trying to get breeders, would yout all say remove her from the equation? If they were yours, what would you do?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Do you have a pair or just a dominate female in a tank full of females?
If you have all females the most dominate one will show the most colors and kind of suppress the others from showing the classic red with black bars. Maybe even to the point of the others looking like males.
If you are sure you have a male in the tank I would let it ride till you get a pair (if they are not killing each other).

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just curious why you would want to remove a ready to spawn female, just because she is large?
Are the eggs in the flower pot?
If so, I see at least 2 other females in the tank, maybe more.
And is that a Tilapia off to the right?
If the eggs are fertile (?) I'd remove every fish except the guarding female and her eggs.
That "is", if there is actually a male in the tank. Sometimes two females will deposit eggs
I cropped you photo a little to try and see gender better, but not much help.
fullsizeoutput_3e1.jpeg
The two uppermost festae look to be females, not sure about the one to the right of the pipe

Reactions: Twonvito

RealCrix220

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
I've been trying to breed my female for 2 years but she's killed 3 potential partners I've got for her. The male I have in with her now has just grown bigger then her and started to challenge her, which I think has worked as there clearing a corner and keeping everything else at bay. But she's yet to lay her eggs but I'm hoping this is the time.

There a big pair in with the likes of 2 red tiger cichlids, big Madagascan, geo daemon, salvini and a few more large American
I was told it would be hard to keep a pair together and get the to breed but I'm hoping I've cracked it.

Jaymillion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
Do you have a pair or just a dominate female in a tank full of females?
If you have all females the most dominate one will show the most colors and kind of suppress the others from showing the classic red with black bars. Maybe even to the point of the others looking like males.
If you are sure you have a male in the tank I would let it ride till you get a pair (if they are not killing each other).
Big-G...No pairs yet, but there's gotta be at least 1 male in the bunch of 10. I do have a smaller female showing breeding colors too. No fatalities yet either. My concern is if a smaller male will breed with such a large female...

Jaymillion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
Just curious why you would want to remove a ready to spawn female, just because she is large?
Are the eggs in the flower pot?
If so, I see at least 2 other females in the tank, maybe more.
And is that a Tilapia off to the right?
If the eggs are fertile (?) I'd remove every fish except the guarding female and her eggs.
That "is", if there is actually a male in the tank. Sometimes two females will deposit eggs
I cropped you photo a little to try and see gender better, but not much help.
View attachment 1243993
The two uppermost festae look to be females, not sure about the one to the right of the pipe
duanes,...there were eggs in the pot but definitely not fertilized. Those 2 you're talking about are female. Only festae in this tank however. Im not sure if a male smaller than her would stand a chance. That's why I'm considering moving her...

Jaymillion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
I've been trying to breed my female for 2 years but she's killed 3 potential partners I've got for her. The male I have in with her now has just grown bigger then her and started to challenge her, which I think has worked as there clearing a corner and keeping everything else at bay. But she's yet to lay her eggs but I'm hoping this is the time.

There a big pair in with the likes of 2 red tiger cichlids, big Madagascan, geo daemon, salvini and a few more large American
I was told it would be hard to keep a pair together and get the to breed but I'm hoping I've cracked it.
RealCrix220...wishing you luck with your breeding. Nice pair! I think I'm gonna get her out and wait for a male to show and pair with the next girl in line.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store