red texas genetics question

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
I have been told that for a red texas to actually come out red and not orange you would have to use a blood parrot, kkp that is actually red. I'm not sure how true this is since even a regular orange blood parrot has the red genes in it.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
HybridFinatic HybridFinatic Aquatic Aggression Aquatic Aggression
They should be able to answer for you.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I have been told that for a red texas to actually come out red and not orange you would have to use a blood parrot, kkp that is actually red. I'm not sure how true this is since even a regular orange blood parrot has the red genes in it.
Yes that is true. all the fading genetics comes from the blood parrot so its unlikely with an orange blood parrot you would get an actually red faded red texas. If you want them to be actually red then it would make sense you use the reddist KKP, BP, you can.

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
I've had deep red fish give me yellow fry and dull pastel orange parrots give me red fry. Surely the other fish being used will have some color influence too. The base color before fading begins matters, the darker the better. In my experience the earliest faders always have the lightest color being yellow or orange.
For the first generation concern yourself only with getting the combination of pearl and fade in some females, then breed a nicely colored female to the darkest male you can find.

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
I've had deep red fish give me yellow fry and dull pastel orange parrots give me red fry. Surely the other fish being used will have some color influence too. The base color before fading begins matters, the darker the better. In my experience the earliest faders always have the lightest color being yellow or orange.
For the first generation concern yourself only with getting the combination of pearl and fade in some females, then breed a nicely colored female to the darkest male you can find.
yea for now ive got 4 different pairs going churning out fry for the purpose of more selects after the cull. i want to see which pair produce the best looking fry and then narrow it down to 2 pairs at most...all pairs are cyano texas and blood parrot with currently only one batch of fry that are still really small feeding on first bites.. my friend had warned me about using a parrot that was orange vs red but wasnt sure how true that theory even was since the red gene is still present

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store