Red wiggler question..fire eel

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Question? Sorry I don’t know how to start a new thread. I have a 14 inch fire eel and he managed to scratch his back up pretty good right above his tail. What is the best way to treat this?

View attachment 1408550
Welcome aboard
I suggest removing the rough ornaments. Keep water in pristine condition. I'm not sure if salt can be added but going to tag a experienced member.
kno4te kno4te

Reactions: deeda and kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Welcome aboard
I suggest removing the rough ornaments. Keep water in pristine condition. I'm not sure if salt can be added but going to tag a experienced member.
kno4te kno4te
Would hold on the salt. Would apply some methylene blue to the area with a qtip daily. Keep the water pristine and as Tom said, remove the decor.

DMH

Feeder Fish
Mar 10, 2020
Welcome aboard
kno4te kno4te
Thank you I would appreciate that!

Reactions: tlindsey

MaDMatt

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2018
Hi friend. I've got a fire eel that REFUSES to eat red worms.

However, he will happily gobble up earthworms I dig up from outside lol. He also loves to eat night crawlers.

But he simply will not eat a red worm. I've tried to trick him by giving him a outside earthworm and then drop a red worm in. He will suck up the red worm and immediately spit it out and look at me like why you do that bro?

It's the craziest thing... but it is what it is. My wife makes fun of him for his cockiness. Try nightcrawlers, earthworms from your yard or blood worms (frozen)

Reactions: blackwolf911

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hi friend. I've got a fire eel that REFUSES to eat red worms.

However, he will happily gobble up earthworms I dig up from outside lol. He also loves to eat night crawlers.

But he simply will not eat a red worm. I've tried to trick him by giving him a outside earthworm and then drop a red worm in. He will suck up the red worm and immediately spit it out and look at me like why you do that bro?

It's the craziest thing... but it is what it is. My wife makes fun of him for his cockiness. Try nightcrawlers, earthworms from your yard or blood worms (frozen)
Try fasting it for a couple of days. Other option is to mix with some garlic.

MaDMatt

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2018
I've fasted him for nearly a week. He would gladly waste himself away over eating a red wiggle. But regular eartworms from my yard he gobbles up endlessly lol

Hes literally sucked the red wiggler down his mouth and spit it back out. Out of all my spiny eels my fire eel is the most unique food wise

MaDMatt

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2018
Anyway I was merely suggesting for tc to try a different worm. Not the red wiggler. Try nightcrawlers or worms out of your yard. Or frozen blood worms.

I had a fire eel once who refused to eat anything I offered. Live worms, night crawlers, grasshoppers, frozen blood worms frozen brine shrimp... he lasted 2 months then became plant food... rip

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
* Weird. Did you buy or grow, IE: might they be contaminated? Maybe hold & clean and/or gut-load on clean veg, shredded carrot & bread. Maybe start your own culture to control.
* My experience with CRW worms is that they're pretty drown-durable if there's O2 & therein pretty good at working the sand/substrate, though morphology seems to lengthen... so might not be CRWs. If so, they'll be down there until somebody gets 'em.
* It's a spiny eel & they root, rummage, bury & dig almost by definition. Once the worms clean out & start tasting right, I expect they'll be good enrichment sport for a species that's notoriously smart & curious.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store