Red Wolf Fish care?

Galasca

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
Hey guys, was thinking about investing in a wolf fish? What have you guys learned from keeping this fish. Is a 30 Gallon large enough? Food? Temp?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It's large enough for a solo fish. Will eat prepared foods and will tolerate fish not big enough to eat. So tankmates are possible but need a bigger tank and no live feeders. Feed them every other day and will be fine. Can do daily till about 5 inches. With a 29 gallon tank and high amounts of waste will need to watch ur water parameters. Will get about 8 inches of kept long enough. Considered lazy logs till food comes along.

Galasca

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
It's large enough for a solo fish. Will eat prepared foods and will tolerate fish not big enough to eat. So tankmates are possible but need a bigger tank and no live feeders. Feed them every other day and will be fine. Can do daily till about 5 inches. With a 29 gallon tank and high amounts of waste will need to watch ur water parameters. Will get about 8 inches of kept long enough. Considered lazy logs till food comes along.
Very informative thank you, and what would be considered a decent price for a 1-2 inch specimen? Also, I try to avoid live foods considering there nothing but disease

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
spot on, they get lazy when they get bigger and fatter. Makes me wonder if we over feed them and they become obese or something lol

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I think they are fed more than in the wild for sure.

Reactions: moe214

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Very informative thank you, and what would be considered a decent price for a 1-2 inch specimen? Also, I try to avoid live foods considering there nothing but disease
I would say about $30 for a 1-2 inch fish is about right.

I just say to avoid love food cause of disease. Also another reason is that if u try to introduce a fish as a tankmate then it might view it as food due to the live feeders.

UES96

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2015
NYC, NY
30g might be a bit small for a full grown high fin red wolf fish. Personally I would go for a 40g breeder as the smallest. When they are so small I would feed earthworms regularly which are high in protean ( meal worm, beef heart and blood worm occasionally too). As they grow you can include crickets and occasionally super worms.

Red Wolf Keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2021
I'm in the process of upgrading a 7 in red wolf from his old 29 into a new 55. I would say that a 29 or 30 gallon might be fine for life, but a 40 breeder or 55 is ideal. Mine takes anything I feed him, just stay away from feeder fish, but live alternatives such as earthworms and mealworms are A ok. As far as tankmates go, plecos and striped Raphael cats are great choices, don't use fish that are smaller than the wolf though. I had trouble finding smaller red wolves for sale, and I bought mine from exotic fish shop at four inches for 49.99 USD. It was the best price I could find for them since they are quite rare. Definitely a worthy investment though, as they are such a personable and derpy fish!

bettapatua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2020
I'm in the process of upgrading a 7 in red wolf from his old 29 into a new 55. I would say that a 29 or 30 gallon might be fine for life, but a 40 breeder or 55 is ideal. Mine takes anything I feed him, just stay away from feeder fish, but live alternatives such as earthworms and mealworms are A ok. As far as tankmates go, plecos and striped Raphael cats are great choices, don't use fish that are smaller than the wolf though. I had trouble finding smaller red wolves for sale, and I bought mine from exotic fish shop at four inches for 49.99 USD. It was the best price I could find for them since they are quite rare. Definitely a worthy investment though, as they are such a personable and derpy fish!
I have upgraded from 30 to 55 for my red wolf. He looks way more happier, since his playground more wide. As for tankmates, i'm still waiting for a month or two. About laziness, i agree. He only patroling the tank in the night or when the feeding time. And yes, he's fat!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store