Redbreast Dwarf Acara Cichlid (Laetacara dorsigera)

cheeseb0y

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
Indiana, USA
I just placed an order for 3 juvenile unsexed Redbreast Dwarf Acara Cichlid (Laetacara dorsigera). While I don't anticipate having any issues keeping them, I'm still wondering if anyone here has any experience with them you could share. I'm going to be putting them into a heavily planted extremely overfiltered 29g (mostly) peaceful community in the hopes that they help keep the Platy/Swordtail population in check.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
I have kept L. curviceps and really liked them. Make sure to post pics when you get them.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
That's kinda funny, I just got a breeding pair of acara's yesterday. One is just a regular blue while the other is an electric blue. Atm their sharing the 30g with a Chinese algae eater till I can get the spare 55g all cleaned out and up and running for em.

Wish my water would allow me to keep some of the more exotic acara species. I'd like to try breeding zebra acara's but they require extremely low PH.

Reactions: Toiletcar

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
That's kinda funny, I just got a breeding pair of acara's yesterday. One is just a regular blue while the other is an electric blue. Atm their sharing the 30g with a Chinese algae eater till I can get the spare 55g all cleaned out and up and running for em.

Wish my water would allow me to keep some of the more exotic acara species. I'd like to try breeding zebra acara's but they require extremely low PH.
Same here. I avoid most SA species for the same reason. Watch out for that CAE because they are nasty buggers. I had one pin a larger firemouth against the side of the tank and sucked on his side. I immediately broke it up and fed it to an Oscar.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Same here. I avoid most SA species for the same reason. Watch out for that CAE because they are nasty buggers. I had one pin a larger firemouth against the side of the tank and sucked on his side. I immediately broke it up and fed it to an Oscar.
Yeah I honestly need to take him into the LFS. He's already pushing 6in. I had him in the with my female FH for the longest time so she kept him in his place for the most part lol but yeah ik that acara's generally aren't as aggressive so I'll probably be taking a trip up the either tomorrow or my next day off. And if nobody wants him ik the cats will lol.

Reactions: C. Breeze

cheeseb0y

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
Indiana, USA
These guys are teeny tiny but too big to be live fish food so that's good. They are most likely going to disappear the instant I unbag them. They look healthy, but that's no surprise since Aquatic Arts is awesome. And yes that Scissortail Rasbora is missing a gill plate, it was already gone when I got it.
20210119_114856.jpg20210119_114908.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
These guys are teeny tiny but too big to be live fish food so that's good. They are most likely going to disappear the instant I unbag them. They look healthy, but that's no surprise since Aquatic Arts is awesome. And yes that Scissortail Rasbora is missing a gill plate, it was already gone when I got it.
View attachment 1448037View attachment 1448038
Lovely planted tank ya got. Lol hope to make my planted tanks look as full and lush as that at some point. Btw could help but notice the garra's and was wondering what kind ya got. They look like adult panda garra's but I'm not exactly an expert on them lol.

Reactions: C. Breeze

cheeseb0y

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
Indiana, USA
I have 7 Panda going from about half grown to full grown and 6 Spotted all about half grown. They're almost always active like some sort of Loach/Pleco cross. I love them.

The plants are basically super low-tech It's mostly Red Crypt, Hygrophilia ploysperma var. "Sunset", Anubias nana, and some sort of Buce. I have a nice Finnex plant light but I don't really fertilize I just found plants that work great with my water. Most of them are about 15? years old at this point.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I have 7 Panda going from about half grown to full grown and 6 Spotted all about half grown. They're almost always active like some sort of Loach/Pleco cross. I love them.

The plants are basically super low-tech It's mostly Red Crypt, Hygrophilia ploysperma var. "Sunset", Anubias nana, and some sort of Buce. I have a nice Finnex plant light but I don't really fertilize I just found plants that work great with my water. Most of them are about 15? years old at this point.
Nice my legs has some garra's for sale atm I just can't remember what specie, though about getting some for my tank lol.

Your tank totally looks better then my tanks. Furthest I've gone was a planted light and some fluval stratum substrate. Can't even remember all the plants I've got, I tend to try lil bits of everything in hopes something will take lol. So far this in my best looking planted tank. Sits right next to the acara's for now. O and since this thread was about acara's originally here's a few pics of them as well.

cameringo_20201209_163149.jpg

cameringo_20201209_163145.jpg

cameringo_20210107_170802.jpg

cameringo_20210107_170754.jpg

cameringo_20210107_170733.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store