redtailcatfish with silver aros

shoefreak03

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
in my own little world
i think it should be fine as long as they are nicely fed. both fishes are too big for common tanks, hope you have a huge tank.

ive seen RTC break glass tanks because they are in small tanks.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
shoefreak03 said:
i think it should be fine as long as they are nicely fed. both fishes are too big for common tanks, hope you have a huge tank.

ive seen RTC break glass tanks because they are in small tanks.
The problem with 'nicely fed' is that RTCs live longer and healthier if not fed everyday. I feed mine every other day (after he hit a year old). I'm sure my RTC doesn't like it but, it's necessary for his health.
On the same token, a RTC will look for other food items when you want him to fast. I've eaten arowanas before and they taste great. I'm sure a RTC would agree with me if given the chance.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
8ft x ?. If you're talking about a 240gal, it'll hold a RTC for a couple of years provided you perform many frequent water changes. These fish put out a lot of waste and falter in less than perfect water quality.

tom h

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2005
baltimore md
i kept a rtc a silver arrow and a pair of tiger oscars in the same tank for two years before an unnatural disaster took them all out. the arrow and rtc were added first at the same time and roughly the same size (small) i added the oscars latter. everyone got along fine, but i did keep them all well fed, and PLENTY of water changes.

evilfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2005
england
u r gonna have to have at least 800gals of the wet stuff for you r fish when theyre fully grown.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
All the pics of "success stories" I've been sent showed only juvenile fish. At 3 years old, the silver would be 2ft long and the RTC would be closer to 3ft long. And, the RTC's mouth will be wider than the aro is tall. That makes the aro just right for snackin'.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Don't misunderstand me here. I'm a big fan of RTCs. I have my 6th one now and am looking for a 7th. It's just that I've tripped over many of the mistakes that can be made in maintaining these cats and am trying to save others from the same pitfalls.

Redtail_Watcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
each one of those plank is about 1ft long and there are six of them.

I have two rtc x tsn with my silver arrowana the're 25percent of the arowanna size they do just fine but i feel i got a problem because Hybrid rtc are grown alot faster than the're parents it puts on an inch a week. I use to feed them rose reds until two day ago i change the're diet to gold fish. They have gotten biger off off them.:WTF: my arrow is about 14'' in a month from now i'm scared they are going to be half my arowwana's size:help2:

Again... Should read "Doesn't mean it will 'today'."

When he was 16", my little RTC ate 4 1-1/2 lb channel cats in a week. Enjoy the group while you can. When the RTC outpaces the aros in growth, it WILL, not may, it WILL eat its tankmates.
My little RTC is now over 2 ft and eats whole 2-3lb crappie and tilapia without effort.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store