Reducing my stock without bloodshed

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Hello.

So I have a 5ft (just under 500L) aquarium now. Which has been stocked with African fish for about 18months.

I got all the fish really small and they have grown up together, so I don't really have any problems with aggression.
As the fish get bigger I think they will be needing more space - is it possible to reduce the fish I have to only the Livingstonii (two males which sometimes have a tussle, but mostly one sticks to one side of the tank, and the other keeps his space on the opposite side - both have been fertilizing eggs with females, but they spit the eggs out after about a week) and the compressips (which never have a problem with anyone - also breeding but eggs don't make it very long) my two polys and the black catfish (who never fights with anyone).
I'm not sure if because the tank is well stocked the aggression is dispersed? Will removing the other fish then upset the balance? Maybe I could keep my two kenyi cichlids? and the giraffe cichlids too.

Or should I just leave everything as it is? I would love to have a species only tank one day (the livingstonii) I just grow to attached to my fish haha.

Filtration - I have one big biological filter that runs along the full length of the top of the tank, and two powerhead sponge filters in the tank (500L per hour and 2000L per hour)

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_2355.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2381.JPG

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
If its working I would leave it as is. Just remove anyone that is overly aggressive or that gets picked on too much.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If your concerns is partially about keeping fry, have you tried an egg tumbler?
After you notice a holding female, catch her in a net, she will often immediately spit the eggs in the net, and you put them in the tumbler hanging on the tank. The are available commercially, or you can make your own, I have had both. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

The one above is commercial, the one below, I made from a specimen box.

Reactions: markstrimaran

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Also I would keep an eye on the catfish, which looks like an Asian upside down catfish. From what I've read the get big and mean.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I would not save fry until you have the species tank. I think you might be able to get away with 3 Livingstonii males and 9 Livingstonii females even though it is a 5 foot tank.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
If your concerns is partially about keeping fry, have you tried an egg tumbler?
After you notice a holding female, catch her in a net, she will often immediately spit the eggs in the net, and you put them in the tumbler hanging on the tank. The are available commercially, or you can make your own, I have had both. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

The one above is commercial, the one below, I made from a specimen box.

Thanks this looks great !

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Also I would keep an eye on the catfish, which looks like an Asian upside down catfish. From what I've read the get big and mean.
oh geez. Ive just googled both and they look very similar. The Asian does seem more likely. African looks like it has rounded fins, where as mine has more Asian looking ones and fits the description exactly in terms of behavior. Do you think this will pose a problem for me in the future? There is a lot of conflicting information on their size too. Same say 7inch, others up to 12.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I've never kept one, so I can't say how it will do in your tank. Maybe try the catfish section or look up the profile on planet catfish for size and aggression. The African upside down catfish is brown with black markings. There are 2 that are called upside down catfish in Africa. Synodontis nigervinter and eupterus. Nigervinter stays small, the other gets about 8". I have kept both eupterus would do best with larger cichlids.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=21

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
I would not save fry until you have the species tank. I think you might be able to get away with 3 Livingstonii males and 9 Livingstonii females even though it is a 5 foot tank.
YES , great advice.. In OP's tank, there is too much risk of hybridization.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Hello.

So I have a 5ft (just under 500L) aquarium now. Which has been stocked with African fish for about 18months.

I got all the fish really small and they have grown up together, so I don't really have any problems with aggression.
As the fish get bigger I think they will be needing more space - is it possible to reduce the fish I have to only the Livingstonii (two males which sometimes have a tussle, but mostly one sticks to one side of the tank, and the other keeps his space on the opposite side - both have been fertilizing eggs with females, but they spit the eggs out after about a week) and the compressips (which never have a problem with anyone - also breeding but eggs don't make it very long) my two polys and the black catfish (who never fights with anyone).
I'm not sure if because the tank is well stocked the aggression is dispersed? Will removing the other fish then upset the balance? Maybe I could keep my two kenyi cichlids? and the giraffe cichlids too.

Or should I just leave everything as it is? I would love to have a species only tank one day (the livingstonii) I just grow to attached to my fish haha.

Filtration - I have one big biological filter that runs along the full length of the top of the tank, and two powerhead sponge filters in the tank (500L per hour and 2000L per hour)

View attachment 1232468

View attachment 1232469

View attachment 1232470

View attachment 1232471

View attachment 1232472

View attachment 1232473

View attachment 1232474
That's a cool mix you've got there, I've always been a fan of Livingstonii and Venustus.

Reactions: mattybecks
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store