Redundancy saved my fish

DRC

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
Redundancy just saved my fish! I did a 50% water change before I left on a 3 day business trip from which I returned last night. This morning as I was watching my fish at breakfast, a terrible thought hit me. I couldn’t remember plugging the HW-3000 canister filter, which is the primary filter for my tank, back in. I checked, and sure enough, it had been unplugged the whole time. Fortunately when I set up my tank, I had added a couple of box filters filled with Seachems de nitrate and a couple of small sponge filters with additional media compartments that I had filled with de nitrate, all of them run by a single air pump. My fish were not showing any visible signs of distress. I immediately tested my water and although not great, I was relieved to see that the ammonia was only .5 ppm. If it were not for the additional air pump driven filters, this would have been a much bigger disaster. (Tank: 125 gal. Fish load: 6 approximately 4-6 in fish)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Glad to hear nothing bad happened. Good thing for redundancy!

Reactions: DRC

Nick Park

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2017
Drogheda, Ireland
It's so easy to make a mistake like that.

I'm a big fan of redundancy. Extra filters, heaters & thermometers on every tank. I couldn't bear to wipe out an entire tank because of an act of forgetfulness or an instance of equpment failure.

Reactions: DRC
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store