Reed Fish

Roryf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
England
I have had reedfish before.

It posed no threat whatsoever to my fish, although i did loose it for around a month, I did server water changes checked my gravel and even the filter system then one day it woke me up by jumping out of the tank! (they can jump quite high and powerful, so make sure you keep something heavy on top of your tank otherwise you will wake up to a dead ropefish on your carpet (not nice)

If i remember correctly I kept him/her with smallish fish but i dont reccomend tetras as the ropefish will most likely have a field day!

Roryf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
England
Food:
Do they only eat live food? Or can they be weaned on to carnivore pellets? if i remember correctly i fed my reedfish bloodworm.

Special water requirements? they are quite hard fish so it shouldn't matter too much

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
Roryf;4903962; said:
Food:
Do they only eat live food? Or can they be weaned on to carnivore pellets? if i remember correctly i fed my reedfish bloodworm.

Special water requirements? they are quite hard fish so it shouldn't matter too much
Mine are very happy eating frozen bloodworm and frozen tubifex worms.
They also come out when I feed beefheart to the Angels they are with. But the bits seem to small for them.

The LFS I got my Reed fish from claim that they were eatomg Tetra Prima, but they have never eaten it in my tank.

Mine are in straight tap water - PH 7.5 and seem healthy enough.

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
Just as I was claiming that my Reeds never eat pellets.....

This evening when I was feeding Prima to my other fish, the 2 smallest ones came out and started picking at the food that had fallen to the floor of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store