regretting using sand

qumqats

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
Sacramento
gallery.outel.org
DJ BIG T said:
im using pool filter sand for my 55 gallon and 30 gallon and it dont cloud up even when i put the water in the tanks it never cloud up......
socalsurfer said:
Yea I was going to go that route but didnt wanna spend the extra money, now I'm wishing I did. It costs sooo much more, the places that did have it, they wanted like 30 bucks for 20lbs. compared to 5 bucks for 50 for what I got lol...

WHOA!!!! I just bought 2 50lb bags of Filter Sand for $25! ( 2 X $12.50) Why the heck is it so expensive for you? Did you go to a pool supply store?

socalsurfer

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
So Ca
qumqats said:
WHOA!!!! I just bought 2 50lb bags of Filter Sand for $25! ( 2 X $12.50) Why the heck is it so expensive for you? Did you go to a pool supply store?
no idea man, I just went to a regular pool supply place and all they had was the bags for like 20 something for only 20lbs maybe it was 40lb bags i really dont remember. Then the other places I called they said to just use the sillca sand from home depot, they said that it was the same stuff... So I ended up going with pre-washed sand blasting sand. It is clearing up yet again, but I'm sure once again the dats and others will stir it up tonight and every night untill all the lil particals are gone.

pesky2118

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2006
tucson
I got my 50 pound bag of pool filter sand for 10 bucks, but I live in AZ so its probably much more plentiful and lower priced here. I can vouch that even when I stir it with my hands it raises no more than about 7 or 8 inches into the water column before coming back down again. Its about the consistency of coarse beach sand. I can see why you would be frustrated with a finer-grain sand, it would drive me nuts too.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
I took out about 25% of the water then I used a 1/2 gallon container and scooped out my sand from the 5 gallon buckets and let the sand just flow out of the bucket into the tank while the container was under water.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
I used quickcrete playsand from Lowes and I have never had a problem with it. If your sand doesn't work out maybe you should try this. It is like $5 for a 50lb bag. I just used the bucket method to clean it and just kept rinsing until the water ran clear.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
I used pool filter sand 6.99 for 50lbs at the local garden supply store.Took a while to rinse but no cloudiness at all,and I can use a regular gravel vac to clean it.

cyang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
using sand and even substrate in a non-planted tank aquarium is stupid. barebottom unless you have plants.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
cyang said:
using sand and even substrate in a non-planted tank aquarium is stupid. barebottom unless you have plants.
Have you considered that some people like the look of sand? Or even that some fish feel more comfortable with a sand/gravel bed and like to bury themselves?

You're a f*cking idiot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store