Removing algae from live plants?

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Depends on the type of algae, but for many types you can gently rub the leaf between your fingers and it will come right off, with out detriment to the plant.
I have taken plants out and run water from the faucet over them and gently rubbed the leaves. More plants will help. I am ginally balancing my tank out so algae is a bit lees of a problem. Seems to be a balancing act with fertilizer and how much sunlight hits the tank.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Adding a light diffuser may help.

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
I also have anubias in the tank experiencing the same growth. here are the pics

View attachment 1361878 View attachment 1361879
Can you get a clear, very close up shot of the longer growth on your anubias? That almost looks like a form of biofilm known as moss animals. They are tiny creatures that settle on a leaf or tank decor and chain together. From a distance they look like algae filaments, but if they are touched they will recoil in an attempt to avoid being eaten. Fry love them.

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
I have a UV light on my tank which grows incredible amounts of hair algae on my Anubias. Every year I pull it all out, soak it for 3 minutes it a 10% bleach solution (that's 9 parts water to 1 part bleach) for 3 minutes, then toss it into a 5 gallon bucket of fresh water.

Once I've dipped all the plants for their 3 minutes each I head over to the 5 gallon bucket (that is now full of anubias and fresh water) and use my fingers/thumbs to scrub it off. BY now it's all turned white and is dead so comes off easy.

THen I rinse it all under tap water for a few minutes (continue scrubbing off the dead algae if needed).

THen it's back into another bucket of fresh water (treated with a double dose of declorinator) for half an hour and then it's back into the tank.

THe whole process takes quite a while since I have to re-secure the anubias to the drift wood, but it's worth it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store