Removing sand from tall 180g

FlorabamaTrigger

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2010
San Anselmo, CA
Hey everybody,
I know there's got to be someone else that's run into this, so I figured why not ask right? Ok here goes.

I got my 180 acrylic setup and running. However, it seems as though I may have put too much sand into it during setup. I need to remove probably about 1/4 of it. Problem is it's a Tall tank, 36" tall. With the small openings in the top, I have to find some kind of long handled scoop to reach the bottom. Anyone ever run into this?

Thanks in advance!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey everybody,
I know there's got to be someone else that's run into this, so I figured why not ask right? Ok here goes.

I got my 180 acrylic setup and running. However, it seems as though I may have put too much sand into it during setup. I need to remove probably about 1/4 of it. Problem is it's a Tall tank, 36" tall. With the small openings in the top, I have to find some kind of long handled scoop to reach the bottom. Anyone ever run into this?

Thanks in advance!

Siphon some out during a water change that should be easier use a 5/8 inch hose.

Reactions: deeda

FlorabamaTrigger

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2010
San Anselmo, CA
Unfortunately the problem isn't the deep water, it's that my arm isn't long enough to reach the bottom! :(
I have some tools to use as far as grading the sand, or cleaning the lower sections of the inside of the tank. Just nothing with a 'shovel' attachment...

Joshomaru

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
I bought some clear vinyl reinforced tubing from a home improvement store to make a longer "tube" that connects to my siphon. That way I don't have to put my arm so far in!

Reactions: deeda

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
seems you got it figged, agreed that a good siphon hose best way to go, esp with acrylic less you scratch it.

FlorabamaTrigger

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2010
San Anselmo, CA
Hmm.. I must not be understanding. When I use my siphon, it barely pulls any sand up through the tube. Most falls back down. Since I'm not removing it all, I'm not as concerned with scratches since I'll be skimming the top. May try that. Thanks!

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Yeah, tall tanks are a pain for maintenance. I had a 36" tall 110g glass tank... I don't think I will do a tank that tall again.

I used a smaller kitchen strainer with a handle on it to scoop the sand out of my tall tank once. It worked pretty well. You can tape a stick to the handle if the handle isn't long enough.

Reactions: FlorabamaTrigger

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
all my big tanks where tall, use a stool or bench with a dust pan. for the siphon to work, need to get the hose allot lower than the tank. for me out the window and down the yard. lower the drop the stronger the pull.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store