removing sand from tank???

juneblood3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Double Rainbow
im attempting to change my tank back to gravel but there is a little bit of sand stuck at the bottom of the tank. i know this isnt that big of a deal because the gravel will cover it anywaays but i was wondering if there were any tricks to get the leftover sand out without removing the water. thanks.

cichlid fiend

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2008
New Jersey
I used a net and when the amount of sand was to small to pick up with the net I used the vacuum I use to do my water changes with to suck up the remaining sand!!!!!

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
when i clean my tank i pull out sand with the siphon and have to put it back in the tank .. so i would just use that to get it out .. should not be to hard .. just do it when your doing water changes ..

juneblood3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Double Rainbow
thanks for the input. Thats how I got most of the sand out was the syphon but now it wont syphon the last little sand pieces. I really dont think there is any other way and hopefully the rest will just syphon out of the gravel later on down the road. Again thanks everybody.

benray4fun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2008
Hartford, Connecticut
It will siphon out the rest of the sand if you remove the gravel cleaner from the end of the hose temporarily and into a bucket, then you can put the water back in the tank as you filter it through a cloth if it's that's much of a priority for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store