Repaired 55g Flooded Fishroom.

rarbona1029

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2016
Yes I think so. I’ve built many tanks this way. Never had a problem.
I think the old silicone just lost its hold and came loose.
Ok awesome thanks. Do you have any recomendations on the bottom rim/trim piece? Is having one necessary? Is glass sitting directly on the stand a no-no?

My stand is basically a sturdy dresser. so fully supported not just by the rim like on most dedicated aquarium stands.

Sorry for all the questions but seems youve done this more than me. Thank you.

rarbona1029

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2016
The only recommendation I have on the $1/gal sales is try to get an Aqueon / Central Garden and Pet brand tank. The glass is thicker on them as are the frames.

The last $1/gal 55g I bought was a Tetra brand (Marineland/United Pet Group). It barely lasted 2yrs and sprung a leak somewhere on the bottom perimeter seal. Leaked about 25g onto the floor and into the basement in the middle of the night before I caught it.

That was the second United Pet Group tank I lost. Had a 29g crack diagonally across the back from them as well.
Thanks for the tip! I will keep that in mind.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I would keep the bottom trim if you can. The floating design helps protect the bottom from pressure points.
You to check level and make sure there isn’t any twisting from corner to corner in an X.

Reactions: CarpCharacin

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
If you do remove the bottom trim. I would place it on a piece of foam. The foam will absorb any imperfections between the tank and stand (dresser).

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
Make sure that all 4 corners of the tank are perfectly level, I once had a 75 gallon tank that I had resealed leak out because I don't think that all 4 corners of the tank were level. I'd recommend using SCS1200 adhesive silicone for braces, but the regular silicone should have been fine for a tank of that size. Also keep in mind, that new silicone won't adhere to old silicone very well.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It may be that the tensile strength of GE1 is not strong enough to hold the tank together that is coming apart at the seams, it is not made for strength but just too seal. I have used it to seal glass over leaks, where the pressure tightens the glass pane over the cracked glass, but found it to be quite weak whenever outward water pressure is the issue.

There are sealants out there rated to hold better, I believe RTV
is one of the stronger type.
But as stated above, the cost of an effective sealant may not justify when you compare to the lower cost of some new tanks.
The tank I repaired above and below, was 130 gallons, and the frame was intact.

Reactions: CarpCharacin
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store