Repaired 55g Flooded Fishroom.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
See of you can somehow melt the crack in the top frame back together.

rarbona1029

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2016
See of you can somehow melt the crack in the top frame back together.
Thanks for the reply. Good idea I actually had the same idea. Unfortunatly the plastic was just too brittle. It broke in every spot I touched it when I was removing it. Any idea why my repair failed?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
There are a few ways to reinforce the tank.
So the glass was placed at the center.
Did you add any to the top on the ends silicone to the front, side and back reinforcing the tops of the side joints?
You can also add some strips of glass down the side on the outside.
This completely covers the whole joint connected to the side and front/back panels.
It’s not the prettiest fix but makes a very strong tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
.....not sure what went wrong but I wouldn't have removed the rim as it sounds like doing so might have caused the separation issue in disturbing the glass panels.
Quite a few years ago I purchased a 265 that sprung a leak a months after setting it up.Like you I also followed King of DIY's instructions for resealing and it has been water tight ever since.

Reactions: tlindsey

rarbona1029

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2016
There are a few ways to reinforce the tank.
So the glass was placed at the center.
Did you add any to the top on the ends silicone to the front, side and back reinforcing the tops of the side joints?
You can also add some strips of glass down the side on the outside.
This completely covers the whole joint connected to the side and front/back panels.
It’s not the prettiest fix but makes a very strong tank.
hey please look at the imgur link at all the pictures. I think I did what u described

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
hey please look at the imgur link at all the pictures. I think I did what u described
Ok I apologize I missed that for some reason.
Dealing with a tank this old my guess is the silicone between the panels has lost its hold. The best course of action at this point would be to completely disassemble and build the tank back.
The other suggestion still would work about adding strips down the side, at this point probably wouldn’t be necessary if you rebuild.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
The only recommendation I have on the $1/gal sales is try to get an Aqueon / Central Garden and Pet brand tank. The glass is thicker on them as are the frames.

The last $1/gal 55g I bought was a Tetra brand (Marineland/United Pet Group). It barely lasted 2yrs and sprung a leak somewhere on the bottom perimeter seal. Leaked about 25g onto the floor and into the basement in the middle of the night before I caught it.

That was the second United Pet Group tank I lost. Had a 29g crack diagonally across the back from them as well.

rarbona1029

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2016
.....not sure what went wrong but I wouldn't have removed the rim as it sounds like doing so might have caused the separation issue in disturbing the glass panels.
Quite a few years ago I purchased a 265 that sprung a leak a months after setting it up.Like you I also followed King of DIY's instructions for resealing and it has been water tight ever since.
Unfortunatly It had to be removed to properly reseal. It was also in to bad of shape to reuse or continue using for sure. the glass braces should have been plenty. im not sure why i experienced adheisive failure with all 3 braces

rarbona1029

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2016
Ok I apologize I missed that for some reason.
Dealing with a tank this old my guess is the silicone between the panels has lost its hold. The best course of action at this point would be to completely disassemble and build the tank back.
The other suggestion still would work about adding strips down the side, at this point probably wouldn’t be necessary if you rebuild.
Thanks I think your right. Looks like thats what im doing next day I get off work. Thanks for the help. Do you think that bracong design is strong enough if i redo everything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store