Repashy Food

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
So my clown loaches are super picky eaters, I tried getting them on flake and pellet food without any luck.

I now feed mostly bloodworms and raw shrimp. They are growing well and seem healthy but I want to mix it up. I bought some Repashy gel food the Grub Pie “flavor”, and they won’t even touch it (my plecos love it though, but they eat anything).

Anyone have luck with other flavors of repashy? I was also going to try mixing bloodworms into the gel to see if that helps, I’ll do it next batch.

See attached tank pic. Not sure why pictures always turn out yellow just bad lighting, water is perfect though un-readable nitrates and auto-drip at ~150% change per week.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I have lost count how many clown loaches I have kept over the years, trust me on this, they will eat pellets. Just be patient, and follow the directions below - and do not cave in!

Presoak your pellets of choice in the juice of frozen bloodworms. With this size of loach make sure that the pellets are 1mm in size, if too large they may have difficulty in initially eating. Only feed in AM when the fish is most hungry, and do not offer any other food. Eventually most fish will slowly but surely start nibbling on the food. Once it is eating like gangbusters slowly over several days wean off of the presoaked food, and convert to 100% pellet. I have trained juvenile fish that were raised exclusively on bloodworms (so uber finicky), and have always had 100% success rate with this method. Good luck.

On a side note, they will eventually outcompete your discus for food. CL's are swift eaters, discus are slow & picky eaters. Good luck.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Mine initially turned up their nose at the Grub Pie too but like some of the other ones (can't remember which off the top of my head sorry), you can try mix the different powders together, or maybe even add bloodworms into the mix. RD's advice is good, they'll eventually get hungry and eat it! Mine love it, and the frenzy of clocks as they tear into the blocks is cool.

Reactions: tlindsey

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I have lost count how many clown loaches I have kept over the years, trust me on this, they will eat pellets. Just be patient, and follow the directions below - and do not cave in!

Presoak your pellets of choice in the juice of frozen bloodworms. With this size of loach make sure that the pellets are 1mm in size, if too large they may have difficulty in initially eating. Only feed in AM when the fish is most hungry, and do not offer any other food. Eventually most fish will slowly but surely start nibbling on the food. Once it is eating like gangbusters slowly over several days wean off of the presoaked food, and convert to 100% pellet. I have trained juvenile fish that were raised exclusively on bloodworms (so uber finicky), and have always had 100% success rate with this method. Good luck.

On a side note, they will eventually outcompete your discus for food. CL's are swift eaters, discus are slow & picky eaters. Good luck.
"Don't cave in" is the crucial part of this advice. I've never had any animal willingly starve itself to death if food is being offered. It always takes longer than you think but eventually they will eat what's on the table.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I feed a community setup with Clown Loaches mostly a variety of pellet. I agree with the others.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I would suggest follow RD's advice so you can get them on a quality pellets.

As for repashy, my clown Loaches ate all varieties with the exception of the wood dominant one (unless I mixed in another variety). If you really want to try a flavor that might work, I'd recommend "Bottom Scratcher.". If it works, you mix in what you have to get rid of it.

The first four ingredients of Bottom Scratcher is:
INGREDIENTS: Krill Meal, Insect Meal, Mussel Meal, Squid Meal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store