RES??

Nanoreefer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
Virginia
I recently got these baby red ear sliders. Very cool, their eating swimming, etc...
They are also basking. However, when I walk into the room where they are, they immediately dive into the water and start swimming. I feel bad because I wish they would realize that they don't need to get all scared about it.
So basically is this normal and will they stop?

methos75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
Satsuma, LA.
Its different for all of them, some will get use to you and continue basking while some may stay skittish.

Nanoreefer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
Virginia
methos75;4599997; said:
Its different for all of them, some will get use to you and continue basking while some may stay skittish.
I've had them for about a week, I should mention. I hear babies/hatchlings can be more skittish than juveniles or adults, is this true?

methos75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
Satsuma, LA.
Very much true, you have to remember that there natural reaction too you is too see you as a threat and to hid. Some will eventually get tamer, but not all. I have two baby Turtles, a RES and a Map and the Map really doesn't care if I stand right next too him or not because he isn't leaving his basking spot while the RES will jump off and hid in a plant and then after a minute swim up to check me out and beg for food.

Nanoreefer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
Virginia
methos75;4600009; said:
Very much true, you have to remember that there natural reaction too you is too see you as a threat and to hid. Some will eventually get tamer, but not all. I have two baby Turtles, a RES and a Map and the Map really doesn't care if I stand right next too him or not because he isn't leaving his basking spot while the RES will jump off and hid in a plant and then after a minute swim up to check me out and beg for food.
Oh, okay. That makes sense.
The reason why I'm mostly concerned is because I want them to get enough heat/uvb, because I hear it's usually best to keep the lights on from 8-10 hours, which is what I do.

methos75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
Satsuma, LA.
Yeah, they should be getting enough if they are on that long

Nanoreefer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
Virginia
methos75;4600046; said:
Yeah, they should be getting enough if they are on that long
Ok, cool:D
Although I did notice one more thing that I'm wondering.
Two of these guys have darker colored shells, while another one is much more green. Is this a bad sign, or am I just needlessly worrying?

methos75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
Satsuma, LA.
Just coloration varations, its normal. Look at my two LOL.

Nanoreefer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
Virginia
methos75;4600146; said:
Just coloration varations, its normal. Look at my two LOL.

Ha, that's awesome!
Nice turtles,too! :)
What would you say the growth rate for RES's are? When mine got here, they were pretty small. It seems mine have gotten a little bit bigger.

methos75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
Satsuma, LA.
They can grow fast, I got one in a rescue back in June that was quarter size and he is three inches now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store