Rescue Mission

Poe

Feeder Fish
Mar 21, 2007
Boston
Hi everyone. Here's my situation- recently rescued a 12" lapradei dropped off at my lfs in pretty rough shape. She was crammed into a 55 there with a handful of mature peacock bass, some oscars, a clown knife etc. She also seems to have suffered a very traumatic wound at some point in her life and has some serious trouble swimming (caudal fin and rear appear to have been completely shredded back to anal fin- now just a deformed "stump" with some fin tissue). In any case, it is fully healed, and she shows no physical signs of illness whatsoever. Presently housed in a fully cycled 55 with a Fluval 304 Canister and an AC 500 HOB/ sand sub. Water parameters are perfect. But she refuses to eat ANYTHING. Over 5 days have passed and (day or night) will not touch shrimp, bloodworms, frozen mollies, crushed mystery snails or feeders.

Starting to worry- my other bichirs are pigs- I've never had this problem. I know she's obviously had a stressful life and very stressful week, but eat something damn you! Any ideas would be appreciated. And sorry for the short story made long...

elbeatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2006
Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
not sure how to get it to eat, you've probably seen stress reducing stuff at the lfs, might help and make sure he's got a good sized dark place to hide. If it's any piece of mind they can go a long time without food. well over a week. I hope he eats soon! best of luck.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
It needs time to settle in and should be fine in a few days-Anne

For what its worth Laps often go on hunger strikes,I used to take defrosted
silversides and place them in plants with their tails out just before turning the lights off at night I guess it triggered a hunting insticntthey were gone in the morning -Anne

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
my laps refused to eat for about a month after they have jumped out of the tank and was on the floor for a few hours. never really worried about it since bichirs can go on hunger strikes that can last for a while. just keep on trying to feed it and when it gets hungry enough it will start to eat. try feeding it at night with light outs too.

Poe

Feeder Fish
Mar 21, 2007
Boston
Finally. Took two feeders last night after lights out and another two tonight. Showing better color and chugging around/ exploring, so I think she's going to be OK. Strike over ;)

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll see if I can post some pics of my little cripple after she's had a bit more time to adjust...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store