Rescued this "Hurricane Sandy" Port cichlid

hamfist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Southampton, UK
Not sure on the species. I have kept and bred C.bimaculatum and C.dimerus. I am sure he is neither of those. THe whole "port" acara group is much more complex than it might initially seem.
THe body shape looks more Aequidens diadema type to me, so might not be a port (cichlasoma) at all. It is hard to tell though from the pics as he/she is in stress colours and is underweight.
All the ports are great fish though. Hope he really thrives with you !

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
Not sure on the species. I have kept and bred C.bimaculatum and C.dimerus. I am sure he is neither of those. THe whole "port" acara group is much more complex than it might initially seem.
THe body shape looks more Aequidens diadema type to me, so might not be a port (cichlasoma) at all. It is hard to tell though from the pics as he/she is in stress colours and is underweight.
All the ports are great fish though. Hope he really thrives with you !
Thank you for the info. So far, he fits in well with the SA group. He's gonna heal up very well. Pictures looks like he may be similar to a Black Acara.

hamfist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Southampton, UK
Thank you for the info. So far, he fits in well with the SA group. He's gonna heal up very well. Pictures looks like he may be similar to a Black Acara.
Black acara is generally used as the common name for Cichlasoma bimaculatum which, as I stated in my earlier post, he/she definately is not.
Once fully healed, if you put up some more pics, we might have a better chance of a decent i.d. This group are usually pretty resilient so his chances are good !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store