Reseal

Vansteen16

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2024
Recently found this tank on marketplace for $200. Plan on cleaning and resealing but I have never done it before. I believe it's a 265g. Dimensions are 84x23x30. Any tips to resealing before I jump into the project ?

20240126_134214.jpg

Reactions: Backfromthedead

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t have much experience, but have resealed two 6 foot tanks and a smaller one. I have never done a complete take apart (just reseals), but have also patched tanks. It is not a big deal. If the price is right, the need/want is high, and the tank is going in a safe place (basement, garage, etc), I would not hesitate doing it again. The tank in the photo looks promising to me. I would love a seven footer!

Vansteen16

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2024
I don’t have much experience, but have resealed two 6 foot tanks and a smaller one. I have never done a complete take apart (just reseals), but have also patched tanks. It is not a big deal. If the price is right, the need/want is high, and the tank is going in a safe place (basement, garage, etc), I would not hesitate doing it again. The tank in the photo looks promising to me. I would love a seven footer!
Yeah it's was a real nice find. Didn't believe when I saw the posting. Probably going to reseal instead of a full break down and it will be going in the basement for sure

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I’ve built dozens of tank and resealed many.
The best advice is to take your time and make sure that the glass is cleaned throughly of all the old silicone.
Get a big pack of razor blades and once all the old silicone is scraped off clean the glass with 90 plus alcohol or acetone.
Buy more silicone then you think it will take.
I use GE I for tanks up to 75 but for larger tanks I use RTV108 Momentive this is a structural adhesive type silicone it is very strong.
Others have there favorite silicone this is just what I’ve had good results with.
Remember prep is key,
I also suggest that when you’re ready to put it back together get everything ready and the silicone open and ready to go . It would also go easier to have a friend help in the reconstruction process.
The first time seems daunting but if you take your time and plan accordingly it’s not that difficult.

Last edited:

Vansteen16

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2024
I’ve built dozens of tank and resealed many.
The best advice is to take your time and make sure that the glass is cleaned throughly of all the old silicone.
Get a big pack of razor blades and once all the old silicone is scraped off clean the glass with 90 plus alcohol or acetone.
Buy more silicone then you think it will take.
I use GE I for tanks up to 75 but for larger tanks I use RTV108 Momentive this is a structural adhesive type silicone it is very strong.
Others have there favorite silicone this is just what I’ve had good results with.
Remember prep is key,
I also suggest that when you’re ready to put it back together get everything ready and the silicone open and ready to go . It would also go easier to have a friend help in the reconstruction process.
The first time seems daunting but if you take your time and plan accordingly it’s not that difficult.
Thank your for the information. Do you use the RTV for the inside seals as well ?

steeveooo1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2023
ive resealed my main tank of 120G's and it was my first time resealing. Its not hard at all, even if you do a bad job (uneven edges) you will be fine as long as you use a sufficient amount of silicone. I would just recommend you scraping the silicone off and wiping the old seals with acetone. I would recommend this video
goodluck !

Reactions: Vansteen16

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Thank your for the information. Do you use the RTV for the inside seals as well ?
Yes. Like I say this is just the silicone I prefer and have had good results with.
I’ve also reseal tanks with GE1 if the silicone between the glass is in good condition.

Vansteen16

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2024
Yes. Like I say this is just the silicone I prefer and have had good results with.
I’ve also reseal tanks with GE1 if the silicone between the glass is in good condition.
I was just making sure it was safe to use for the fish. Thank you for the help

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Great price for a 265,it appears to be holding water I wonder if going through the trouble of resealing is absolutely necessary?

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
SE USA
Don't want to trigger a "what's the best silicone" war, but I have liked ASI aquarium silicone. ASI Aquarium Silicone TDS Consistency is very creamy and easy to inject into seams or finger smooth the inside corners.

I second BIG-G 's advice to buy more than you think it will take. A tube goes fast on a reseal job and most of the time you can't run down to the local hardware and buy the good aquarium-safe brands. The term "RTV", by the way, has nothing to do with strength or suitability for aquarium use, it just means "room temperature vulcanizing".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store