retic. mystery/misery

downset21

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2005
Quincy, MA
so my retic died a few hours ago for no apparent reason. he was eating, and moving and acting very normal for about 2 months. water quality is PRISTINE. i punched a wall and the wall won... im not pleased. i dont want answers, i just wanted to vent.

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
I say the best way to deal with this is to show that wall who's the boss. Don't take any crap from it. Take a sledgehammer to it if you have too. :D

seriously though, sorry to hear ya lost the little guy.

downset21

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2005
Quincy, MA
well it is a well established tank and the nitrates were around 20ppm. i forget the other paremeters but they were the same as they've been for the past year. i am well aware of the sensitivity of young retics because I had lost my first one after two weeks. i spent $200 renovating the tank after that to make sure the new stingray had the right substrate, ph, hardness, and tankmates. the tankmates didnt bother him and i didnt have "active" fish to spook him as he rarely dug into the sand. and no the sand was not silica, it was ecocomplete and perfect for the needs of stingrays. my only thoughts are that it is a baby retic. and they are doomed to begin with... but that's alot of time effort and money, not to mention the coolest fish i ever had, down the drain....

the ray was about 5" across. he was very healthy.

and no more walls will be assaulted. i've learned my lesson. (but if those walls talk smack again i am goin at it with the sledgehammer like you said)

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Sorry for your loss.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
sorry dude. i think that is a ray i won't own, there are too many "mystery" deaths

piranha_guy_dan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
canada
great i just got 2 retics so i hope i dont have such bad luck.

last time i punched a wall i hit a stud and had to have 2 pins put in my hand to repiar it with surgery. i dont hit a wall again unless i get out a stud finger first.

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
I hate to sat it but i never had any luck keeping retics either. Good luck with yours Dan!

downset21

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2005
Quincy, MA
at some point I will get a Motoro when I get a wider tank next year. but this still #@Q#$@ blows.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Substrate...

IMO, the greatest misconceived error and biggest 'Mystery Killer of Rays'.. Sure, alot of people will agree that alot of substrates will work, but only very few work well..

or.. Internal Parasites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store