Retic Question

StinkRay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2007
Canada
Just wondering around what disc size retics will become sexually mature. I have pair thats are about 4.5 inch male and a 5 inch female, and i just wanna know when i should start looking out for signs of them breeding.

Alex.P

Feeder Fish
Apr 17, 2007
London
This guy bred his at 6inch

Retic5.jpg

StinkRay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2007
Canada
well thanks for the info, i would never expect a ray that size to be breeding already. I'd expect the females to be a little bigger before they are ready to breed, just cuz they need more room for the babies to grow right?

Alex.P

Feeder Fish
Apr 17, 2007
London
You are right. Just remeber this is a very rare occasion and he is a very experienced ray keep too. So i would say with good water quality and good food at the size of 10" you will see signs of breeding from your pair

filiportela

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2005
portugal
good luck ;)

StinkRay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2007
Canada
I love my retics and everything everyone says about them being hard to acclimatise and raise from a small size is crap. When i got mine the female was 4" and the male just under, i've had them for about 2 months and the female is going on about 5.5"and the male around 5". Got them eating ghost shrimp after about a week of no appitite and then moved onto small worms and bits of nightcrawler within 2 weeks. I have always loved dwarf species of fish and i guess you could say retics are dwarfs for rays, they're just big dwarfs lol

ps. i cant wait till they breed :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store