Return Line Siphon Break

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Yes, inside the tank and above the water line, there are bulkhead threads, there's only like 1/4 inch of air between the water level and the tank lid, it's just not a good place to be drilling.

Reactions: jaws7777

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Not being a wise guy, whats the benefit of having the line run ino the sump ?
well, I'm wanting to put the output of the siphon break hose as close to water level as possible, so it's as silent as possible. The water level in the overflow box fluctuates, inside the display tank means a hose in the display tank. But the sump.....it's got constant water level, and it's where all the other hoses and stuff goes......so I figure just put this in there, too.

Reactions: jaws7777

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Yes, inside the tank and above the water line, there are bulkhead threads, there's only like 1/4 inch of air between the water level and the tank lid, it's just not a good place to be drilling.
Ah, the bulkhead...that's what it looked like in the picture. I had a thread where i had to drill additional holes on my acrylic internal weir with eurobracing on the tank. It was a bit tight. I had to drain about a foot of the water level and cover with plastic so the shavings would get all over the tank side and overflow side.

Rajin, what if you flipped the bulkhead thread to the outside/top of the tank where your black return pipes are? You may want to use slip bulkhead and glue. Then add PVC to the bulkhead end that's in the tank. You could drill the siphon break hole in the PVC BEFORE attaching to the bulkhead. So no drilling around the tank if it makes yoi nervous. More work but cleanest results IMO.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I already drilled it. I put a 1/8 inch hole in the return line where it turns back down and goes into the overflow box. So it's in the overflow box about 1/2 inch above the water line.

It's Loud, I shoulda drilled it u set the water line.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I already drilled it. I put a 1/8 inch hole in the return line where it turns back down and goes into the overflow box. So it's in the overflow box about 1/2 inch above the water line.

It's Loud, I shoulda drilled it u set the water line.
Ah Really? Darn, I think turning the bulkhead upside down and adding a pvc in the tank wouldnhave worked...at least from what i see in your picture.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store