Reverse undergravel filtration setup

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you want efficiency let the can work on its own. Trying to connect it to the R-UG is a bit redundant, and may be counter productive.
For reverse UG, all you need do is keep the power head as is on the UG tube, it alone will send enough water threw the gravel to aerate the substrate.
Using the venturi to suck air, reduces efficiency and strength of flow slightly, (up to 20%).
I use ventures regularly to add aeration, they work best when not having to push against head pressure.

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
Dear Team,

I have a 300L goldfish tank and would lime to setup reverse undergravel filtration system. No way i can find a setup guide and i am quite confused. Please can someone help with the step by step setup with a powerhead.

Thanks
Soni
There is a very simple way to do it.

1. Attach a powerhead to a sponge filter

2. Chose a lift tube to receive the output from the powerhead and close off the other lift tubes

3. Trial and error with different sizes of PVC connectors and vinyl tubing to connect powerhead to lift tube

I'll post a picture of my setup when I get a chance

Reactions: Julianhoffman

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
There is a very simple way to do it.

1. Attach a powerhead to a sponge filter

2. Chose a lift tube to receive the output from the powerhead and close off the other lift tubes

3. Trial and error with different sizes of PVC connectors and vinyl tubing to connect powerhead to lift tube

I'll post a picture of my setup when I get a chance
iIMG_3788.jpg
Heris a reveres flow set up. The sponge prevents particulate matter from entering. The powehead pushes the water into the tubing connected to PVC fittings.
In this case the uplift tube was replaced with a PVC pipe.

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
What is the purpose of reversing the flow? I've heard of this I have never used it. I have had under gravel filters back in the day.
I generally use conventional flow for UG.
However they can theoretically get clogged with accumulation of debris and packing of substrate after prolonged use, so you can intermittently reverse the flow to loosen up the substrate bed.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I generally use conventional flow for UG.
However they can theoretically get clogged with accumulation of debris and packing of substrate after prolonged use, so you can intermittently reverse the flow to loosen up the substrate bed.
Doesn't seem that's what the op is going for though. Seems more like it's more intended to be constant.

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
Doesn't seem that's what the op is going for though. Seems more like it's more intended to be constant.
You are probably right.

Another theoretical reason for reverse flow is to prevent the 'sludge' from accumulating below the plate. However, running conventional flow now for a couple years now, I don't see any of that sludge below my filter plate. I can post a picture when I get a chance.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
You are probably right.

Another theoretical reason for reverse flow is to prevent the 'sludge' from accumulating below the plate. However, running conventional flow now for a couple years now, I don't see any of that sludge below my filter plate. I can post a picture when I get a chance.
Unless you are trying to make an anoxic area I don't understand why you'd use a under gravel filter at all. I understand that it's allowing you to use the substrate as a filter or more appropriately as bio media, normal use would pull crud deeper into the substrate and the other way with a prefilter you'd cut back on the detritus. Why not just a sponge filter? The substrate is going to become bacteria laden anyway.

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
Unless you are trying to make an anoxic area I don't understand why you'd use a under gravel filter at all. I understand that it's allowing you to use the substrate as a filter or more appropriately as bio media, normal use would pull crud deeper into the substrate and the other way with a prefilter you'd cut back on the detritus. Why not just a sponge filter? The substrate is going to become bacteria laden anyway.
Why not just use a sponge filter?
In the case of reverse flow, it is just a small sponge to trap detritus. You would need a larger sponge for adequate biofiltration. Either way, the sponge and the substrate would be additive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store