REVIEW:Fluval FX5 vs Eheim Pro3 compared

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
is300zx;847708; said:
Eheim uses less electricity and that should also more than make up for the price difference in the long run.
its not a massive difference,,with out going and haveing a look i think its around 20-30 watts ????

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
danny;847723; said:
its not a massive difference,,with out going and haveing a look i think its around 20-30 watts ????
It was 27w vs 51w. And in the long run it would make a difference. Remember they're running 24/7 everyday. After a few years the difference would start to add up. Let's say the difference in running the two cost about $10 a month and in a year that's $120.

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
16.8 amp hr per week (uk) i must admit i dont know how much it costs per amp hr ill look at bills tomorrow,,,,,,,food for thought

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The eheim costs more at start up, but is far less long term. Personally I could get the fx5 for $130, and the pro 3 is $319 filled. After media the pro 3 is only ~$120 over the fx5 which isn't enough for another fx5. It is a toss up, and will be split. They are both good filters, but my preference is the pro 3 over the fx5 and just running an sponge or AC110 (better mech filtration for the money, and easier to clean).

TipStylez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
Seattle
props for the research.

Not alot of people do research for these things anymore like they did back in the day.

Ducati996

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2006
NY
taksan;845307; said:
THE BATTLE OF THE GIANTS

MEDIA CAPACITY
Both filters are huge and hold a lot of media however the Fluval contains 25 litres of foam media around the sides of the baskets and only will hold about 6 litres of bio and mech media in its baskets while the Eheim holds a full 12 litres of bio and mech media and only has about 2 litres of foam.

Will the bigger flow rate of the Fluval make up for its lack of media ?

THE FILTRATION TEST

Mechanical filtration
We wanted to test the ability of these filters to remove particals from the water so we emptied a big container of tetrabits near the intakes. The Filters both did a great job catching most of the gunk in their pads but if I had to give to one of them I'd give it to the Fluval that 25 litres of foam really can catch some gunk!

Biological Filtration
The most important function of a filter is its biological filtration capacity and here is the best test for these filters. The clear winner here was the Eheim taking only 11 days to cycle the 700 litres of water from 4ppm of ammonia to Nitrate only vs the FX5's 13 days. It just shows that that extra 6 litres of bio media in the Eheim more then makes up for the 800 litres per hour flow advantage the Fluval has. a 2 day difference is quite significant and its more then we expected.
Im glad this argument and test is still in circulation :ROFL: - even after all this time :)
What this test implies especially regarding the 2 day improvement in the Bio filtration test - is we would hope to expect from Eheim a measurable gain over the FX5 in this area - just by the amount of media its designed to hold in that area (eheim). But whats even more important based on the suggested MFG. tank size for both filters, is that the FX5 has more than adequate media capacity for its rated size, regardless if there is a 2 day difference. All it proves is that it takes two days longer to remove the nitrates - but it still is removed. All this shows is how fast a unstable or non-established tank can be stabilized. I think its important to mention that once stabilized what advantage is there still? All it shows is one is faster in one area - but they both can do the same task for their rated size aquiariums. :screwy:

Duc

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
is300zx;847738; said:
It was 27w vs 51w. And in the long run it would make a difference. Remember they're running 24/7 everyday. After a few years the difference would start to add up. Let's say the difference in running the two cost about $10 a month and in a year that's $120.

I did calculations a few weeks ago to argue on the side of the eheim but when I did the calculations it ended up coming out to like 11$ to run one and 20$ to run the other(for the year). The website that I got the typical $ per kilowatt hour to do my calculations could have been ten years old for all I know so my info could be dated but when doing my calculations the money spent on operating either of these for a year was so minor it wouldn't come into play at all in my decision to buy one or the other.

taksan

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
Ducati996;863574; said:
Im glad this argument and test is still in circulation :ROFL: - even after all this time :)
What this test implies especially regarding the 2 day improvement in the Bio filtration test - is we would hope to expect from Eheim a measurable gain over the FX5 in this area - just by the amount of media its designed to hold in that area (eheim). But whats even more important based on the suggested MFG. tank size for both filters, is that the FX5 has more than adequate media capacity for its rated size, regardless if there is a 2 day difference. All it proves is that it takes two days longer to remove the nitrates - but it still is removed. All this shows is how fast a unstable or non-established tank can be stabilized. I think its important to mention that once stabilized what advantage is there still? All it shows is one is faster in one area - but they both can do the same task for their rated size aquiariums. :screwy:

Duc

Errrr no actualy ..... Once both filters are cycled the Eheim can support bacteria that will handle approximately 3 times the bio load of the FX5 without showing ammonia.
It takes 3 FX5's to handle the biological capacity of 1 Eheim 2080 in a real world cycled tank situation with a pump thats rated at less then half the Fluvals flowrate. The FX5 is unable to handle ammonia generated at anything more then 37ppm per 24 hours while the Eheim continues to process ammonia at up to 123ppm per 24 hours.
The Ehiem is rated for a 1200 litre tank ...the Fluval for a 1500 litre tank.

I know all this because I wrote the review and did the testing.

If you really want to see a Eheim trash a FX5 wait until you see it compared apples to apples with the Eheim 2262 thats also rated at 3400 l/ph.... we are talking efficiency differences in the region of 700% in favour of the Eheim.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store