Rhinogobius maxillivirgatus Breeding Log

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I just recently found that my female Rhinogobius dropped her breeding tube, and the male started making nest for her to assess... Hopefully they'll lay eggs in a few days. The pH fluctuates throughout the day, as I dose co2, so it's about 7.4 before co2, and drops down to about 6.8 after it's been running for a while, and nitrates are about 20-30ppm. Given that, this fish clearly isn't picky about breeding... I think tds is at about ~400 last time I checked, but I'll test everything again once I get home, as most of this was from memory...
20191001_181515.jpg20191001_181538.jpg20191001_190410.jpg20191001_190411.jpg20191001_190415.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I just recently found that my female Rhinogobius dropped her breeding tube, and the male started making nest for her to assess... Hopefully they'll lay eggs in a few days. The pH fluctuates throughout the day, as I dose co2, so it's about 7.4 before co2, and drops down to about 6.8 after it's been running for a while, and nitrates are about 20-30ppm. Given that, this fish clearly isn't picky about breeding... I think tds is at about ~400 last time I checked, but I'll test everything again once I get home, as most of this was from memory...
View attachment 1390322View attachment 1390319View attachment 1390318View attachment 1390317View attachment 1390316

Exciting stuff!

Reactions: Angelphish

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Exciting stuff!
tlindsey tlindsey One more question I forgot to ask... I know you don't have experience with gobies, but how many eggs do you think I should expect based on the fish you've bred? How many eggs should I expect to be viable, and how many fry should I expect to survive?

Would these baby brine shrimp work, or should I hatch live ones?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
tlindsey tlindsey One more question I forgot to ask... I know you don't have experience with gobies, but how many eggs do you think I should expect based on the fish you've bred? How many eggs should I expect to be viable, and how many fry should I expect to survive?

Would these baby brine shrimp work, or should I hatch live ones?

The number of eggs laid will vary by species. Most of the Cichlid spawned would lay about 200 with the exception of Apistogramma and German Ram the egg yield was very low maybe 25 or less. Senegal Bichir egg scatterer's estimate about 50 or less eggs. The Electric Blue Acara and Pulcher Kribensis eggs were mostly viable every spawn. The Apistogramma and German Ram less viable hatch rate. The Senegal Bichir 90% viable but this was due to the male losing a few eggs during cupping and fertilizing.
I don't want to make any assumption on the Gobies but hope you succeed in rearing the fry.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The number of eggs laid will vary by species. Most of the Cichlid spawned would lay about 200 with the exception of Apistogramma and German Ram the egg yield was very low maybe 25 or less. Senegal Bichir egg scatterer's estimate about 50 or less eggs. The Electric Blue Acara and Pulcher Kribensis eggs were mostly viable every spawn. The Apistogramma and German Ram less viable hatch rate. The Senegal Bichir 90% viable but this was due to the male losing a few eggs during cupping and fertilizing.
I don't want to make any assumption on the Gobies but hope you succeed in rearing the fry.

I suggest investing in a couple of Brine Shrimp Hatchery. The fry may not react to non moving fry. I have used the Ocean Nutrition instant baby brine with Cichlid fry.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Thanks, I hope so too. Given that, I think a conservative guess for how many fry to expect is 40-100... I hope there's some demand for them on here because I'll probably have quite a few to get rid of, assuming it works out. They'll be the first F1 Rhinogobius maxillivirgatus to enter the aquarium trade in the the U.S., to my knowledge.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I suggest investing in a couple of Brine Shrimp Hatchery. The fry may not react to non moving fry. I have used the Ocean Nutrition instant baby brine with Cichlid fry.
I don't have a huge amount of money to invest right now, so I'll try to make a hatchery out of a bottle of some sort. How long do you typically need to wait before feeding the fry, and how long should I expect to wait for the brine shrimp to hatch? Should I just start the hatchery once they lay the eggs? Should I use a pipette the brine shrimp out, or would the salinity of the water affect the fry? Would it be better to use a net instead?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks, I hope so too. Given that, I think a conservative guess for how many fry to expect is 40-100... I hope there's some demand for them on here because I'll probably have quite a few to get rid of, assuming it works out. They'll be the first F1 Rhinogobius maxillivirgatus to enter the aquarium trade in the the U.S., to my knowledge.

I think Goby keeping is increasing but how demanding honestly don't know. I do know that decent lfs would probably except a few. I would call around and see if the lfs would be interested prior. If you don't have a problem shipping then that may get them moved faster. Also fish clubs are great for fry sells and swaps.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have had success with these hatcheries, from Brine Shrimp Direct.

I start one, one day, and another after two days, providing a constant supply, the artemia concentrate in the hole, and are easily strained out, with the manufacturers supplied strainer.

No need for aeration, any extra heat, just the little contraption.
After most are used up, I dump the leftovers into an outside container, and usually end up with a number of adult brine shrimp a week or so later.

By the way Nice work with the Rhinos, great fish to breed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store