Rhom (serrasalmus Rhombeus) growth rate?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Do you mean that manueli need better conditions to survive while rhoms are hardy?
Almost all piranhas are extremely hardy, with manueli being the exception. The bigger issue with manueli is that they do not ship or transport well at all. It is the reason there are so few large ones in the hobby. Large ones almost always die when being shipping in SA, and many people lose their manueli when they move them. I never kept one long term but lots of people talk about them needing clean water and being sensitive. Rhoms can take a beating. I kept one for ~18 years and I probably moved him 10-12 times and had many issues with his tank over the years that he always survived.

Reactions: David Tyson

David Tyson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2021
By the way, how well can pygocentrus nattereri cope with bad water conditions? Why are they the most popular species of piranhas?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
By the way, how well can pygocentrus nattereri cope with bad water conditions? Why are they the most popular species of piranhas?
They are also extremely hardy. Piraya are the most sensitive Pygos. They are the most popular because they are the most widely available piranha in the wild I believe, and they are the only piranha that have been consistent bred in captivity.

David Tyson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2021
Have you kept macrobrachium rosenbergii? And also walking catfish(clarius bartachus)? Can they live off a completely herbivorous diet without any animal matter? I am planning of raising them as feeders for my big fish.

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
Because Natts are more readily available. Personally if I ever keep piranhas again I’d just take nattereri for 1 reason.. They r cheap and easily replaceable if they die or get sick from feeders. Piranhas are fun to keep if u feed live and see them take down big prey. if u don’t and u just feed pellets and frozen ull be bored eventually bec. They are inactive fish.. they just hover most of the time.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
M. rosembergii (and most Macrobrachium) for that matter will not do well on a completely herbivorous diet. They need protein, specifically some animal protein. They are predators and scavengers.

David Tyson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2021
M. rosembergii (and most Macrobrachium) for that matter will not do well on a completely herbivorous diet. They need protein, specifically some animal protein. They are predators and scavengers.
Can you mention some crustaceans that do well on a completely herbivorous diet?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store