South American Giant BB Cat

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You still thinking about getting a rhyco ? Someone else needs to get some so we can compare.

This little guys is nasty man. Since its settled in I've noticed it very territorial. Any one approached either entrance to it's cave get quickly chased away.

View attachment 1314042 Saw an explosion of sand then one of the gourami flies out of the cave.
Yes I am considering it as I have always liked and wanted one of the other cats that are closely related to it.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yellowcat Yellowcat was it hard to get bufonius onto pellets ?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
As I stated early on, having briefly looked at the photos and the sizes, I don't think this is ID'ed correctly. For my intents and purposes, I'd maintain this is a bufonis.

But my opinion is a pebble versus Kirk's which would be a boulder. And he, so far, hasn't challenged the Rhyacoglanis. All he said, unless I missed something, was that it looks like a bufonis but he sees some differences.

Oh no, you just didn't! Haha, keep it hush.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Ok. So most likely one of those let's see what it looks like down the road.
As I stated early on, having briefly looked at the photos and the sizes, I don't think this is ID'ed correctly. For my intents and purposes, I'd maintain this is a bufonis.

But my opinion is a pebble versus Kirk's which would be a boulder. And he, so far, hasn't challenged the Rhyacoglanis. All he said, unless I missed something, was that it looks like a bufonis but he sees some differences.

Oh no, you just didn't! Haha, keep it hush.

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
O.K. well Viktor made me look up scientific papers again. For more info on the genus go to PlanetCatfish, "Taxonomy and Science News" - page 7 " Rhyacoglanis- New Genus in Pseudopimelodidae". I don't know how to do "hyperlinks" like Viktor does and too lazy to figure out how… Anyway to respond, now that I recall I was never able to get p. bufonis off live feeders, they were in a tank with other cats that ate pellets but never knew if the bufonis ever ate them? As far as noting differences in morphology, what threw me was a photo on pare 2 of this post which I now realize was Viktor's post, the fish in the net shot, not Jaws7 777 fish. Otherwise from seeing many pic's of this fish it does look exactly like a p. bufonis in all ways, I can't see any real differences but then I haven't waded through the scientific description enough, I'll leave that to the experts here….

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
P.bufonius would be an extremely pleasant surprise.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
O.K. well Viktor made me look up scientific papers again. For more info on the genus go to PlanetCatfish, "Taxonomy and Science News" - page 7 " Rhyacoglanis- New Genus in Pseudopimelodidae". I don't know how to do "hyperlinks" like Viktor does and too lazy to figure out how… Anyway to respond, now that I recall I was never able to get p. bufonis off live feeders, they were in a tank with other cats that ate pellets but never knew if the bufonis ever ate them? As far as noting differences in morphology, what threw me was a photo on pare 2 of this post which I now realize was Viktor's post, the fish in the net shot, not Jaws7 777 fish. Otherwise from seeing many pic's of this fish it does look exactly like a p. bufonis in all ways, I can't see any real differences but then I haven't waded through the scientific description enough, I'll leave that to the experts here….
I had a feeling something was off or you'd be mulling pros and cons of the Rhyacoglanis ID in earnest by now. You gotta start reading the thread from the OP, Kirk! Haha... just teasing you.

You are our only knowledgeable guy on Pseudopims AFAIK, that is active anyway. Thank you for making learning from you a pleasant experience.

See Jaws? And you wanted to keep it to PMs... I think we both have learned.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
This guy is obsessed with digging under the big rock very secretive and territorial though so far been a cool little cat20180514_112119.jpg 20180513_203930.jpg 20180513_203838.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hahah, that made me chuckle. Super cute photos after that introduction... Check me out big daddy in my sandbox - I wanna be a miner. Or if I don't quite make it, a mole at least.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store