South American Giant BB Cat

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I really wanna catch him on video protecting his cave. He reminds me of a bulldog. Doesn't swim but kind of walks with his fins and nips the "air" of the opening to his cave.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Short update. Been eating tilapia and rejecting the pellets tho I've been making NLS and tilapia meetballs that he gobles down so not a totally failure.

He got chomped on by the wolf and ended up with a nice gash on it's side. Wasn't the wolf's fault. I force the cat from it's hide during a wc just to get a look at him and while both were under the sponge filter the cat started messing with the wolf. First just passing then it's start biting the wolf. Wolf retaliated case closed...smh

Right after the fight

This was today. Seems like the dead skin is falling off.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Should learn his lesson now. Usually does it. Watch it for infection though. Downside to wolves. I usually add salt after a wolf bites someone as a precaution.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Should learn his lesson now. Usually does it. Watch it for infection though. Downside to wolves. I usually add salt after a wolf bites someone as a precaution.
Yup keeping the water extra clean.

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
No surprise this guy is super shy
Why is that?

O.K. well Viktor made me look up scientific papers again. For more info on the genus go to PlanetCatfish, "Taxonomy and Science News" - page 7 " Rhyacoglanis- New Genus in Pseudopimelodidae". I don't know how to do "hyperlinks" like Viktor does and too lazy to figure out how… Anyway to respond, now that I recall I was never able to get p. bufonis off live feeders, they were in a tank with other cats that ate pellets but never knew if the bufonis ever ate them? As far as noting differences in morphology, what threw me was a photo on page 2 of this post which I now realize was Viktor's post, the fish in the net shot, not Jaws7777 fish. Otherwise from seeing many pic's of this fish it does look exactly like a p. bufonis in all ways, I can't see any real differences but then I haven't waded through the scientific description enough, I'll leave that to the experts here….
Highlighting is mine.

Does this bring your ID uncertainty home, Mister Toothy Fairy # 7777?

Last edited:
Reactions: justarn

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I see. "No wonder" refers to your reading.

More correctly, I'd think, it'd be to say it is light-shy. In the absence of light or in very dim light it is not shy at all. We saw an example of that with its wolf fish tank mate.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I see. "No wonder" refers to your reading.

More correctly, I'd think, it'd be to say it is light-shy. In the absence of light or in very dim light it is not shy at all. We saw an example of that with its wolf fish tank mate.
Agreed about the light. Unfortunately no night vision goggles in my area lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store