RidX as a probiotic in your system

DavidW

INCOMING!!!
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2005
Manaus, Brasil
so RD...
266 different species of Bacillus bacteria....from some that will kill you in horrible ways to others that will save you...
You were going to let us know which exactly were in the septic system powdered bacteria and enzyme spores that you think are safe for and should be added to people's aquariums, like RidX etc ......right?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I hardly consider a trolls comments as calling me out. lol

It's rather difficult to argue facts, David, when none have been presented. If you have facts about this persons dead fish, and how rid-x killed them, then please present them.

I've never put myself up as an expert on anything, and I'm quite certain that your personal knowledge of the fish that I have cared for over the years is pretty much zero, including that of caring for various species of stingrays. Again, more baseless conversation from someone who thinks they know someone who knows someone. Like always, good solid info, David.

Reactions: BichirKing

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I use Septobac which I buy at Walmart. RD also recommended another newer brand that looked really good.

What's that other Brand Neil that you mentioned? Has the picture of the Algae infested pond before and after?

Reactions: RD.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Aside from the current dialogue. I wouldn't mind hearing an experienced opinion. Do you all think this could be beneficial when using denitrate tubes? Considering it's anaerobic bacteria?

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
So if septic tank products and what type of bacteria they might contain is the main concern in this thread,...what about using human probiotics? Would the same end result be accomplished?

Or would adding something like safe start with bio spira to boost the bacteria colony be beneficial?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Do you all think this could be beneficial when using denitrate tubes? Considering it's anaerobic bacteria?
Don't know, I'm guessing no one else reading this does either or they would have posted.

Scott, products such as safe start, bio spira, etc, are not the same type of bacteria as those found in septic products. The former are nitrifying bacteria (that convert ammonia to nitrates) the latter are heterotrophic bacteria (sludge/waste eating bacteria)

Rodger, that's the stuff, although last year a friend (who happens to keep rays) turned me on to a locally made product called Bactri Pond, which I like better as there is no bran medium, just a white powder that dissolves on contact.

And just to be crystal clear, I'm not suggesting that anyone has to use these products to successfully keep rays, or any other species of fish. If you read the sticky on this subject, which Rodger linked to early on, my reason for using these products was due to my own personal situation. For myself personally it's been a success story, for others they may feel that its unwarranted. It's all good, do whatever makes you feel best, I'm not trying to sell anyone anything.

But to state that these products will kill fish, with ZERO proof, while thousands of people world-wide use these same bacteria in aquatic applications, is far more reckless than the people the OP is pointing fingers at. I have been experimenting with these bacteria off & on for over a decade, and I have never once seen a case where a fish die off could be attributed to any of these products, even when overdosed by massive amounts.

Even Seachem Prime can be dangerous under certain conditions, and just like RidX is regulated with a MSDS.
http://www.seachem.com/support/MSDS/Prime.doc.pdf

Two hobbyists on a forum of thousands feed NLS to their fish and the fish get bloat, and soon after die. Did the food cause the fish death? Of course not, but over the years I have read this at least a thousand times, with every brand of food on the market being the cause, while millions of others feed the exact same diet with zero issues. To me this is no different than what is being reported here. I'm sorry for anyone that loses a fish, but to blame it on something with zero proof isn't going to further anyones fish keeping experience in this hobby.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
As said, i have been using a powder version ofstuff, 100% organic, with absolutely zero negative results.

As RD said, to each his own, obviously.

As to David' s statement, based on what he gave us to read, i would not use Ridx ( i understand, though, that it was a liquid version of the stuff ).

I believe we can have this convo without getting stressed, in any case :)

Reactions: RD.

DavidW

INCOMING!!!
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2005
Manaus, Brasil
so RD...
266 different species of Bacillus bacteria....from some that will kill you in horrible ways to others that will save you...
You were going to let us know which exactly were in the septic system powdered bacteria and enzyme spores that you think are safe for and should be added to people's aquariums, like RidX etc ......right?

still asking.....still crickets and diversions.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store