Ring of Fire zoas

Chuncan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Corralitos, CA
I recently bought my friend a Ring of Fire zoa frag as an early Christmas present (along with a psychodelic goby because they're so freakin cool). It was pretty darn expensive: 30$. It has about 2 heads that shown themselves and they are micro. Like I'm pretty sure maybe a millimeter across. The smoky red color in contrast with the green is pretty awesome though. The rest of the little knobs on the frag didn't seem inclined to open like I was hoping they would. Right now they're under some medium strength florescents (as far as reef lights go) but he'll be getting some knarly light fixture called a Kessler for Christmas. My question is: how fast do zoas grow under a powerful light? I've been watching his Dragon's Eye zoas for a while and they don't seem to have spread out at all. But thats under his current light. And do different types of zoas grow at different rates? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
I recently bought my friend a Ring of Fire zoa frag as an early Christmas present (along with a psychodelic goby because they're so freakin cool). It was pretty darn expensive: 30$. It has about 2 heads that shown themselves and they are micro. Like I'm pretty sure maybe a millimeter across. The smoky red color in contrast with the green is pretty awesome though. The rest of the little knobs on the frag didn't seem inclined to open like I was hoping they would. Right now they're under some medium strength florescents (as far as reef lights go) but he'll be getting some knarly light fixture called a Kessler for Christmas. My question is: how fast do zoas grow under a powerful light? I've been watching his Dragon's Eye zoas for a while and they don't seem to have spread out at all. But thats under his current light. And do different types of zoas grow at different rates? Thanks in advance.

Is it a Kessil and not kessler? Kessil makes good LEDs. Zoas will definately grow better/faster under a strong light with good PAR

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

arow08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
Mississippi
Although zoas and palys do not need ideal water conditions some higher end ones are slow growers and some multiply like gsp. My purple deaths use to grow 3-4 in 2 weeks I also had a Maxspect Razor LED... But be patient let them adjust they will grow soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
it's very possible that they didn't want to open up because of adjusting to new tanks.... it took my zoos at least a week to open up fully...

Chuncan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Corralitos, CA
Yeah Kessil haha.
I would agree with you that they would take at least a couple days to open but the two top polyps have already opened. I havn't seen them in a couple days so I don't know whats going on with them. I'll ask him if he can put pics up.

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
If they are little knobs they are probably still too small to open. They are probably too new. Little baby micro zoas

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store