Riparium Ideas - Setup and Plant Suggestions?

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
Hi all. I've just acquired a 6 foot aquarium to upgrade on my 4 foot. Instead of filling it to the top I want to perhaps fill it three quarters of the way with water. Two reasons...

1) I like the idea of some greenery above the water level and the more natural look.
2) I have silver dollars so zero chance of keeping anything green in the water..

Anyone on the forum have a monster riparium they can share? And does anyone have any suggestions on plants?

Initial plans are having large pieces of wood breaking the water surface. There would be circa 8" of height between the surface and my glass condensation trays.

All I can think of so far is the usual anubias with roots dangling in the water and growing above. Anyone got anything else....?

Last edited:

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Pothos would work and is very commonly used. Roots hanging in the water. If you had a hidden planter tucked in behind the wood that might open you up to plants that need soil.
Tillandsia "air plants" are also a good option because they don't need to be planted into anything, it needs to not be directly touching the water though. You just soak them for a little bit once a week for care.
I have a much smaller version of this with tillandsia species in my betta tank
bettariparium.jpg

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
Loving your little tank - this is exactly what I'm thinking but on a larger scale. How did you attach your air plants to the wood or do they just rest on it? Also you say not to have their roots in the water - but is humidity a problem? I have a closed system.

I'll try and post some photos soon - I've now got the wood and on the process of setting it up.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Loving your little tank - this is exactly what I'm thinking but on a larger scale. How did you attach your air plants to the wood or do they just rest on it? Also you say not to have their roots in the water - but is humidity a problem? I have a closed system.

I'll try and post some photos soon - I've now got the wood and on the process of setting it up.
Thanks, the tillandsia just sit up there on the lava rock wedged inbetween rock and glass. There are some which do well with high humidity

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
but is humidity a problem? I have a closed system.
If it's a closed system, you can use pretty much any aquarium plants, majority of which are not true aquatic plants but plants that require high humidity. Plants that naturally grow vertically need to be rooted, not just attached hanging in the water or attached to driftwood...You may need to get plant baskets with suction cups for that or adapt something similar.

I keep lots of emersed plants but I use plants that don't require high humidity as I have no lid and I don't want to sacrifice the water level. It's easier...plus you can get them grow wild...as tall as the ceiling if you wish...

Either way, great project and I'll be following.

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
Thanks, the tillandsia just sit up there on the lava rock wedged inbetween rock and glass. There are some which do well with high humidity
Fantastic link and really helpful. Just purchased 2 Tillandsia Bulbosa and got Tillandsia Brachycaulos on my watch list!

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
If it's a closed system, you can use pretty much any aquarium plants, majority of which are not true aquatic plants but plants that require high humidity. Plants that naturally grow vertically need to be rooted, not just attached hanging in the water or attached to driftwood...You may need to get plant baskets with suction cups for that or adapt something similar.

I keep lots of emersed plants but I use plants that don't require high humidity as I have no lid and I don't want to sacrifice the water level. It's easier...plus you can get them grow wild...as tall as the ceiling if you wish...

Either way, great project and I'll be following.
Thanks - I'll put together a little build post at the end of the week!

Good to hear your advice on nearly anything going because of my humidity. The problem I have is I don't want planters and soil.... so any plants have to be rooted to the wood like anubias or java fern. Think I'm limited with them for as far as usual aquatic plants goes?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Think I'm limited with them for as far as usual aquatic plants goes?
Upright plants generally won't do well without being rooted but climbers and certain other plants that tend to throw runners side ways may do just fine. I'd say you have a lot more choice than you think, you just need to research a bit. Plus, personally I've always enjoyed trial and error :) What's wrong with that?...If you like a plant and don't mind experimenting, try it...That's the most exciting part...

Reactions: Bluesandtwo

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
Looks amazing. Very lush and green.

It's going to have to stay a closed system, evaperation and house humidity being a big part of that.

Furthering my research about plants though. Thanks for the help so far!

Reactions: Coryloach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store