Ripsaw/Niger Catfish question

THE FAMILY GUY

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2011
NEW YUCK CITY
Will a 7" ripsaw/niger catfish go after and eat 3-4 inch clown loaches or are the clowns to fast for the catfish? Yes I know how big these catfish get and you need a gazillion gallon tank for them. There's already a pond lined up for the catfish once it outgrows my 300.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Will a 7" ripsaw/niger catfish go after and eat 3-4 inch clown loaches or are the clowns to fast for the catfish? Yes I know how big these catfish get and you need a gazillion gallon tank for them. There's already a pond lined up for the catfish once it outgrows my 300.
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

Reactions: THE FAMILY GUY

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I doubt it.Nigers are more bottomfeeders than hunters in my experience with them and one would have to be quite a bit bigger than seven inches in order for it to engulf a 3 or 4 inch clown loach.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Our hobby is a gamble and strange things do happen but I'd be in an utter shock, if a 4-foot niger ate a 3 inch clown loach. I imagine only if starved to near death...

Our 3.5' nigers in fact spit out thawed fish and fish pieces through gills, should they suck them in accidentally while fed a plenty of pellets to fill themselves with.

Nigers are decisively non-predatory and non-carnivorous given other feed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store