Rocio Spinosissima

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
The Jack Dempsey, or Rocio Octofasciata, has always been my favorite Cichlid. Common, yes. But they were the first for me to keep, a male and female, about 5 years ago. And ever since, I've been obsessed with the Rocio Genus. Recently coming across bits and pieces of information about Octofasciata, Gemmata, and Ocotal...
But I've recently been introduced to "Rocio Spinosissima", a cichlid I have never seen or heard of before...
Has anyone kept these before? There is very little information on them available. And from my understanding, even less people currently keeping them at this time. I would love to hear anyone's feedback on their experience with R. Spinosissima, photos, really just anything you can possibly tell me about them :D

attached are a few pictures for reference (none of which are mine...)

Cichlidae Spino.png

Spino & Eggs.JPG

Spino (Ciklid Image).jpg

Spino Parent and Sibling.JPG

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
Not sure if they were reclassified to Rocio or are still archocentrus. In any case, they are pretty rare in the hobby nowadays. Apparently they were easier to come by years ago. I've never kept them myself.

Looks like you found pictures from Michael Lobello, who is the only hobbyist that I am aware of that has this fish. Sam Borstien had them as part of his research lab, but did not have fry available.

Reactions: Athletic_Amph

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
Not sure if they were reclassified to Rocio or are still archocentrus. In any case, they are pretty rare in the hobby nowadays. Apparently they were easier to come by years ago. I've never kept them myself.

Looks like you found pictures from Michael Lobello, who is the only hobbyist that I am aware of that has this fish. Sam Borstien had them as part of his research lab, but did not have fry available.
I believe they were recently reclassified from Archocentrus to Rocio... but again, the information out there is slim to none. I spent a good hour + on the phone with Michael last night discussing his experience with them, he is an awesome guy for sure. He basically said the same as you, years ago they were as popular as can be and then they were essentially forgotten about.
I've gotta say, idky I never thought to search for them under the Archocentrus genus, but there is a bit more information available under that name, but still not very much :( Would really love to know more about these guys though

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
They're quite peaceful and shy, probably one of the reasons that they disappeared from the hobby (people kept them with more aggressive fish and they either were killed or didn't breed).

They're similar to rainbow cichlids, although less robust and much less color.

Not hard to breed if they're kept alone or with peaceful fish.

Matt

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Never seen them either
Look really cool as adults
Love the first picture

azmtns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Prescott, AZ
They used to be common years ago, but being a dull brown looking fish, they were soon forgotten. When the Malawi craze happened, they kind of disappeared from our tanks.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
About 5 years ago they were fairly easy to come by in the Milwaukee/ Chicago area from breeders, and members of the gcca (of which Sam B was a member)I even saw some in a LFS in Milwaukee back then (which has since gone out of business.)
And as stated above, they were then sold under the Archcentrus genus name.
The info Below is recent
Genus Rocio SchMitter-Soto, 2007a
Type species: Heros octofasciatus reGan, 1903. Type by original

designation. Gender: feminine.

Included species. Rocio gemmata contreraS–balDeraS & SchMit- ter-Soto, 2007a; Rocio ocotal SchMitter-Soto, 2007a; Rocio octofasciata (reGan, 1903); Rocio spinosissima (vaillant & pelleGrin, 1902)

Diagnosis. A monophyletic group of heroine cichlids combining ancestral picker/generalized predator cranial morphology with a lentic postcranial morphology. Rocio is a long isolated lineage of Middle American heroines with most of the unique diagnostic characters found in coloration ontogeny: different from the majority of hero- ines in lacking any traces of the abdominal line during coloration development, the line only being visible in eleutherembryos (see Říčan et al., 2005); coloration on- togeny distinctive by late development of ontogenetic bar 3; all other ontogenetic bars already dorsoventrally con-

tinuous in very early developmental stages; the three an- terior body bars form as already dorsoventrally fused and additionally are initially fused into one large pigmented area which only later divides into three bars; second on- togenetic bar divides into two bars (i.e. three bars present posteriorly from the midlateral spot in adults); unique among Middle American heroines in developing a subor- bital stripe during ontogeny; the timing of development of the suborbital stripe is accelerated, already developed at free-swimming, and is lost in juvenile shes and ab- sent from adult shes as in all Middle American hero- ines. The timing of development of the suborbital stripe is intermediate between the Amazonian heroines and all the other Middle American heroines. Further diagnosable by: elevated number of anal n pterygiophores anteriorly from the rst haemal spine (2); elevated number of anal n spines (> 8); elevated number of dorsal n spines (> 17); pointed conical teeth without a second cusp; fold of lower lip interrupted (frenum); second lower lip small; maxilla extending to below the eye.

Distribution. Rocio has a large distribution area in the Atlantic drainages of Middle America covering the whole Usumacinta ichthyological province between the Actopán river north of Veracruz to the lower Ulua drain- age (Honduras) and including most of the Yucatán pen- insula.

Notes. Rocio octofasciata has been previously included in the sections Parapetenia (reGan, 1905), based on den- tition, or Archocentrus (reGan, 1906), based on its high anal n spine counts. As in case of Herotilapia, the spe- cies has never been recovered as related to Archocentrus. The species has many unique morphological features and deserves a separate generic status. Rocio, based on our results, also includes the much less well known Heros spinosissimus vaillant & pelleGrin, 1902 which shares the here presented generic diagnosis.

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
Great fish I would love to have them again, they are attractive not agggressive, nice smaller size and hang their babies around the tank, I have a friend that has some that are about to spawn..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store